Fishing Buffs

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:49
ThreadID: 56057 Views:2427 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
About to do a run around oz next week... no time limit which got me a thinking about my stomach and which led to fishing and the good ol mud crabs....

prob is I know NOTHING about catching the buggers - but I do own a fishing book, rod and crab net so thats got to be a start eh ! ok ok I last went fishing 25ys ago.

My question is, Do you guys have any tips, hints, advice and guidence to keep me in this all important quest as the handbrake has told me - no catch... no eat and we cant be having that !

What sort of permits will I need, spots to wet the line - yup got the ocean in mind as a starting point, places to go to, baits to use vrs lures etc etc...

Thanks in advance

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:07

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:07
2005 we did the trip from east coast to Broome and back via the Savannah Way. Included the GRR and had side trips to the likes of Daly River where the fish are reported to jump into the boat.

Took all the best gear and purchased more on the way as the local environment demanded.

My advice is to take plenty of rice and noodles because you may/will die of starvation if depending on catching your fare.

I also hold the dubious record of losing at least one lure in every river and stream from Broome to Cairns.

Now you may well be a better fisherman - and lets face it you don't have much to beat - but just in case make sure you have some "silver bait"

Have a wonderful trip.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 295490

Reply By: docz - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:10

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:10
gidday yikes, best thing is to source local knowledge from fisherfolk in the area your fishing. try tackle shops, or ask around camp. people will usually pass on some handy tips. a cast net is a pretty useful bit of gear up nth to and the old hand line catches its fair share of fish.
AnswerID: 295492

Follow Up By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:16

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:16
thanks for the input guys... Kevin - now thats a record to be proud of ! Docz.... never thought of a cast net.. can just see me being the only thing getting caught in it thou laugh
FollowupID: 561520

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:35

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 22:35
mud crabs... make for a great meal.

But no - I can't disclose how you catch them.

Unfortunately they tend to enjoy native title, limiting your access rights, and requiring local approvals...

And they also keep company with crocs...

But other than that, generally a good reward for a hard day's work.
AnswerID: 295499

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:02

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:02
tip number 1 for mudcrabs:-
keep your fingers and toes out of the way of their claws, never got caught out myself, but have seen people who have been, and judging by the screaming and yelling it does really hurt. LOL

can't help you much with what to do, but if you can't catch a fish on the pennefeather river (about 150 klms north of weipa) then throw your fishing gear in the nearist bin when you return back to civilization.
AnswerID: 295531

Reply By: jeepthing - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:18

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:18
If you are not a fisherman I would search out a good fishing guide when you get to renown fishing country, you will be put onto fish and you will learn a few things. I'm sure that after that experience you'll keep start catching a few fishing on your own which should keep the handbrake happy:))
AnswerID: 295533

Reply By: Hopper51 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:54

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:54
As a fisherman, I find the quickest way to learn the tricks for a particular area is to go on a charter fishing trip. They will almost certainly ensure you catch something to take home and they will show you the best bait, rigging and grounds for that particular area.
I did a half day crabbing trip in Cairns some years ago - we travelled all of 1 km into the mangroves from the city and they pulled up 6 crabs.
You will probably find that the regular fishermen at some of the best fishing spots are happy to help with good advice. If you ask around you may also be able to go out with someone who is looking for a bit of company on their boat - a lot of them go out by themselves.
Chris W
AnswerID: 295540

Reply By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:49

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:49
thanks to all for the advice... in fact thankyou to all people that offer genuine advice on all the different posts, Im sure Im not the only bloke who has learnt a wack from your replies !
AnswerID: 295559

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:22

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:22
Gday,
One other thing, If your going to throw your pots in off the bank rather than from a boat. Don't keep going down to the water to the spot. Crocs are good at recognising a pattern...chop!

have fun yu lucky bugger!!!
AnswerID: 295612

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:04

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:04
And if you're going to use floats use plastic bottles filled with bean bag foam pebbles otherwise they with smash your foam floats and you'll loose your pots
FollowupID: 561649

Sponsored Links