the jack

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:27
ThreadID: 56063 Views:1761 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i have just had to sell my 99 jackaroo se to get a troopy, i need the extra length for work, and i just wanted to say that i think it was a great car, besides the obligitory injector problems that was fixed,after 8 weeks by the holden dealer in darwin, great to drive, fairly gutsy, 3.0 litre diesel,and embarassed more than one toyota and nissan driver in real rough stuff. i know you will be sniggering but i reckon it is a very underrated 4x4, and you can get them for a bargain. used to the turbo boosting along, now used to the 1hz slowly going along.i know about the weird injection system run on oil pressure, use the right oil, 5w30 and it starts and runs sweet as a nut. now i will go and put my crash helmet on and prepare for the battering for sticking up the the poor maligned jackaroo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 03:19

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 03:19
G'day hiab

How long you have the jackeroo for??

Cheers......Dave
AnswerID: 295515

Reply By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:01

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:01
Mate's got one, swears by it. He had all the problems with the injectors, finally got it fixed under warranty but what a s@#t fight. It's got a locker in the front,and I would think he's been across every rough track and dune in Aus. He videos everything, thats where I got the bug to have a look at our great country.
AnswerID: 295520

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:00

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:00
Got to agree, although mines a V6 &, like its owner, drinks a bit if pushed, I wouldnt part with it. Big, strong, roomy & capable of any 4WD stuff I want to do. Some are frightened by fuel usage,
but we get 15k/100 towing a C/t, driven sedately. Long range tank is very useful as it gets you past the usual fuel price traps.
Excellent value on the current used market....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 295529

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:18

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:18
Baz, what are they worth these days? We have an 01 base model with long range tank and 130K on the dial also (I have heard they are only worth about 8-9 grand for similar to ours???). Wife drives it and says it is good, I drive it and can never get comfortable in the terrible drivers seat, suspension is very average but I am used to my GU so it is hard to compare the two. It has been pretty reliable really and cheap enough as an overall ownership excercise (again compared to my hefty GU ownership experience hehehe). I would buy another one for the missus but if it were for me, there would have to be heaps of suspension and seat modifications done straight after purchase to get me into it full time. Upside is, if they are cheap enough, you can put heaps of goodies on them to make them suitable.

Ours has never been offroad to find out how it goes in the rough stuff :-(( (downside of it being the wife's car LOL)

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 561633

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:28

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:28
G'day Trevor, have a look on Ebay for a guide to price. I would
suggest yours could be worth $10 to $15k depending on condition & petrol or diesel. I paid $14k for mine 18 months ago,
its a 2000 model V6, had 85k on it (107k now) 4 sp auto. I wouldnt take $20k for it now after towing a C/t to Broome & back
on the backtracks with 4 adults on board. Your point re the seats
is well made but a bit of foam cut to suit fixed that & I dont
consider a suspension upgrade necessary at this stage. Maybe not
the most economical as a daily driver but if the wife is happy drive it till it dies. My theory is new cars are poor value, buy used & wear them out... the capital costs on an annual basis are a fraction
of driving a new one. Fancy paying $85k for a 200 series & finding
it worth half that in 3 years, bloody poor economics....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 561776

Reply By: mythicl - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:22

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 19:22
Ive had 2 Roos, current ride is a 2001 3lt T/d which is about to get sold to make way for a V6 Roo (3.5 lt). The old Roo I brought off the father in law at 330,000km and sold it back to him 3 years (and 100,000km) later. It's an '85 2.2lt and it's still going. He told me the other day it's passed 460,000 km. Not bad for an old T/D that's had no major work apart from a top end rebuild at about 250,000.

Go the Roo I say and damned the consequences. (hides quickly behind large object).

:0)
AnswerID: 295649

Sponsored Links