New Shocks

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:37
ThreadID: 56080 Views:1849 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, i realise this topic has probably been hammered but i'm gonna throw it out there any way...
I am looking into buying new shocks for my '86 hj60 landcruiser. I do a bit of off road stuff but nothing too serious, mostly dirt roads and beach stuff and i do carry a bit of weight (mostly camping gear) from time to time. My vehicle has 50mm extended shackles with standard springs and 285/75R16 MT/R goodyear wranglers. I've priced a few different brands of which the following are in my price range:

Heavy duty gabriels
Heavy duty ridepros
KYB
Ironman nitro gas
Ultima gas shocks

Any feedback/info/opinions on these brands would be much appreciated.
Cheer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dmarsc10 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:39

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 17:39
here's the prices:

gabriels - $200 (Pair)
ridepros - $368 (four of)
KYB - $216 (pair)
Ironman nitro gas - $330 (four of)
Ultima gas shocks - $275 (four of)
EFS enforcers - $145 (pair)

i realise that these are probably only the base models for each brand of shock, but for my useage any of them should be sufficient??

any advise considering quality:cost$$ ratio??
AnswerID: 295616

Reply By: GerryP - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:04

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:04
For what it's worth, I put brand new Ridepro's on my 105 prior to doing the Anne Beadell in 2006. They were totally stuffed by the time I returned. Got my money back on 2 of them and although the other 2 were pretty soft, they were supposedly within tolerance.

Others in the convoy were running standard shocks and a couple were using Monroe Gas Magnums. I was the only one who stuffed their shocks - and no, I didn't drive any faster than the others and adjusted tyre pressures etc accordingly.

Just my experience, I wouldn't use them again, but others may wish to disagree...

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 295659

Reply By: Harry - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:38

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 20:38
G'day to u,
If you cant afford Koni's then get yourself OME.
When I did the Canning and Anne Beadell in same trip my mate had OME on his truck and they performed very well compared to the Koni's I had on. My shocks were hot at times on the front coils but only warm on leafs at rear and his were hotter, but they didn't fail.
Spend little and you'll get less. Spend more and you wont look back.
AnswerID: 295673

Reply By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 21:34

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 21:34
Asked at the last Adelaide Off Road Show and was told that if I used OME shocks they came with a warranty that was really only valid if I also used OME springs. If I had a failure I would need to return the shocks AND my springs to undergo testing to ensure they were compatible with the OME shocks. Seems too much trouble to me! The person to whom I spoke knew who made the springs and agreed they were a good spring, but this is now their policy. If, in their opinion, they were not compatible the warranty was deemed invalid. I asked at another major after market dealer and they told me their warranty was valid for my springs - whatever brand was fitted. A third dealer and another shock manufacturer assured me my warranty was valid with their shocks and my springs. Guess who didn't get my business.

Having said that, I once had a failure on three of the four OME shocks fitted with original equipment springs and they simply handed new shocks over the counter (four) without any problem.
AnswerID: 295700

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 22:31

Sunday, Mar 30, 2008 at 22:31
We put OME on the GU to do the CSR in 2005, we had to change the bushes on the back at the fuel dump but had no further trouble with them, however last year we put on a set of new OME to do the GCR, Tanami, and GRR and did in three shockies in on the Kalumburu/ Mitchell Falls Rds.
We had taken the old ones (the ones that we did the CSR with)as spares and put them on and had no further problems in fact they are still on the vehicle. We took the busted ones to ARB in Derby and they took a couple of days and a lot of chasing up by hubby to inform us that they were not going to replace them so when we got toBroome ARB there handed over three new ones straight away. We will never recommend ARB in Derby, they wanted to keep theirs for paying customers, So in short the old OME's were quite OK but the new ones apart from the one on the left front are cactus.

That's our experience for what it is worth.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 295716

Reply By: obee - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 07:50

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 07:50
Why does not any one recommend Toyota genuine shockies. Is it the price or the failure rate? I have given the hilux a good shaking over the last seven years (the CT springs are sagging from the puishment) and nothing has changed since new.

Owen
AnswerID: 295738

Sponsored Links