Any Comments on Pirelli A/T Tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 561 Views:2929 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The local tyre shop has recommended that I replace the Dunlop GrandTreks on my 80 series with Pirelli Scorpion A/T 275/70/16. The price seems great at $190. Most of my travel is on the black towing a large van, but I also like to go off road (this year the Vic high country and Moreton Is, next year the Simpson). Has anyone any recent experience with Pirellis? Checking back in the forum, comments on Pirellis are favourable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Col - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:00
Keith,

I am also researching tyres for my TD Jackaroo. I am a member of a club, and have been listening to what different people have to say about their tyres. One member has a set of Pirelli Scorpions, and he is very happy. Most who have changed over from the OE tyres have BFG AT's, a couple have Cooper S/T's, and a few have Kuhmo Ventures. Everyone seems happy, this only makes the choice harder for me.I have found that most people will have good things to say until they have problems. Everyone likes to beleive that they have made the best choice, and is likely to say good things and defend their choice. So far the only two tyres that I have heard people complain about are Dunlop Grandtreks and Goodyear Wranglers. What does all this mean? Any of the more purposeful tyres are an improvement over the standard compromise tyre on your vehicle if you intend to go off the bitumen. On a Jackaroo the BFG's are returning between 60 -80K, the two vehicles running Cooper S/T's both have very little k's on them so it is too early to say except the Coopers warrant them for 80K, the Pirellis still look like new after 15K, and should last as long as the BFG's and the Coopers, the Kuhmos are more agressive and are not avaialbe in my wheel size and therefore not being considered.
So, you could save $300 on a set of 5 tyres, probably better in your pocket than in the tyre companies.

Good luck, I am interested to hear what you eventually decide on. My decision is a couple of months away, as I want to change tyres before a trip next April/May.

Col
AnswerID: 1463

Follow Up By: Keith - Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00
To all those who kindly provided me with info....thanks. I have now fitted the Pirellis and will post details on how they perform.
FollowupID: 473

Reply By: MARK C, SYDNEY - Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00
AFTER OUR LAST SIMPSON DESERT CROSSING ONE OF OUR CREW HAD PIRELLI A/T ON HIS 80 SERIES AND THEY ALL SPRUNG LEAKS. THE TYRE SERVICE TOOK THEM OFF AND PUT THEM IN THE WATER TANK AND YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LEAKS. AIR WAS POURING OUT OF HUNDREDS OF LITTLE HOLES. HE HAD TO PUT TUBES IN THEM ALL. I RAN GOODYEAR WRANGLER ALL TERAINS WITH NO PROBLEMS(MUCH MORE ROBUST) I HAVE RUN THEM LAST TWO SETS AND HAVE PUT 165,000 KLMS. I SPEND A FAIR BIT OF TIME IN OUTBACK QLD AND NT AND CHOSE GOODYEARS BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF THE LOCALS RUN THEM. THEY ARE VERY STURDY FOR STONEY DESERT WORK, I SWEAR BY THEM.
AnswerID: 1472

Follow Up By: Col - Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00

Lucky you. The standard Grandtreks and Wranglers fitted to most showroom 4wds are not as robust. On one long weekend trip there were seven tyre failures. 5 of them Wranglers.
FollowupID: 450

Follow Up By: Peter - Friday, Nov 23, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 23, 2001 at 01:00
Col, There's a huge difference between Wranglers and Wranglers A/T's. I did 80,000 k's without out any signs of trouble over all sorts of terrrain. I'd recommend A/T's any time. Cheers.
FollowupID: 453

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00

I spend few weeks reaserching tyres for my Rocky and endup selecting Bridgestone Dullers D693 A/T.
I paid $170 for each tyre fitted. I just checked bridgestone.com.au and your size tyre is available and should cost you around $185 each fitted.
I suggest you search this forum about D693 tyre.
Tyre itself is build on Donut technology and dealer network all around Australia is a big plus.

Book Moreton Islandwell in advance (at least a month ahead), specially in summer .
AnswerID: 1473

Reply By: Kev - Sunday, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:00
Keith,
I have Pirelle A/T on my Pajero. Just completed a trip vie the east coast road to Cape Melville and the tyres performed excellently. Great grip on some difficult terrain. I also travel regularly to Fraser Island and I find that the A/T's do very well in the sand. I recommend them highly.
AnswerID: 1485

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00
FYI, over in WA (sand groper country) you see quite a few Pirelli Scorpion ATs. When we bought the "ExplorOz" vehicle it was fitted with a set and although we didn't leave them on for a long trip they handled the conditions for day trips here quite well. They aren't very aggressive looking but performed very well in thick mud and in soft hot sand. The price you've been quoted is very good because whatever you get will probably need replacement after 3 trips anyway. And, ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THOSE GRAND TREKS!!!
AnswerID: 1489

Sponsored Links