EvaKool Died

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 13:45
ThreadID: 56109 Views:2027 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well it finally happened, the faithful ED40 died on me and the shame of it all is it didn't die performing valiantly keeping beers cold on the track somewhere in croc country. It died a somewhat less dignified death as a water cooler next to my bed. Thats sad.

It was about a year ago on Stockton beach that I first noticed its performance was suffering. It was struggling to keep the temps down even allowing for it being a pretty hot day, it was not doing the job that the Engel in the mate's truck was doing. It usually did the job quite easily.

When I got back from that weekend i decided to run it on power at home for awhile until it either broke or not. The bloody thing ran like clockwork on 240v until about a week ago. It became my cold storage away from the prying eyes of the teenagers in the house, God I miss it!

I was wondering if it can be recharged or something like a car Air Cond. It hasn't totally died as the compressor keeps trying to cut in but it just won't run. There is a thump as it tries to cut in then it stops for 5 - 10 seconds and then tries to cut in again and this repeats. Making me think that the refrigerant has gone away.

I have had it since 2003, i bought it as a floorstock run-out sale so I have no factory instructions to say whether recharging is a normal thing or not.

Any ideas please.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:05

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:05
Rechargeing is possible on mine which is an earlier model, 2001, but I would look at the volts going to your system through the fuse holder.

I had a problem with mine earlier on when it would do something similar to yours, I found that there was a high voltage drop across the fuse holder. As they will stop running at around 11.5 volts it would try to start then as volts dropped due to the hight start load it would then stop.

I bypassed the fuse and have had no trouble since.

AnswerID: 295778

Reply By: Member No 1- Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:15

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:15
if its developed a gas leak then it can be recharged...its just a matter of cost...eg where is the leak?...is it easy to fix? etc etc

recharging is not normal...its the same as a domestic fridge...the gas lasts forever (providing it hasnt leaked out) so to prevent any further losses the leak MUST (by law incidently) be located and repaired prior to putting any more gas in the system....
AnswerID: 295780

Reply By: pepper2 - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:41

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 14:41
Take the cover off and check the condenser ? fins anent clogged up this will affect performance mine were full of red dust washed out with hose....just a thought
AnswerID: 295787

Reply By: PandJ - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 17:56

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 17:56
Hi Waynepd,

I have had an evakool 47 ltr for years with no probs.
Try the following for help from the factory, as they are a good bunch of people to deal with.

inquiries@evekool.com
service@evakool.com
07 5492 7777

They are at Caloundra Qld

Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 295817

Follow Up By: PandJ - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:00

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:00
Sorry it should read inquiries@evakool.com

P&J
FollowupID: 561837

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:47

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 18:47
Thanks for the hints guys i will have a good look in there tomorrow or the next day to try and see what's happening. Plus i'll drop EvaKool a post to see if they know of this too.

Thanks again
AnswerID: 295828

Sponsored Links