POPTOP HEAVY TO LIFT

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 21:38
ThreadID: 56134 Views:3763 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G`day peoples,
I am finding the poptop on my Supreme Getaway very heavy to lift, it is a bit much for an aged pensioner with a dicky back. It has 120w solar panels x 2 on the roof and the awning is attached to the roof also. I am considering having the gas struts pressure increased but am not sure if this will totally solve the problem. I have only had this c/van since last Dec. and am looking for info/advice on this, and any other issues from other poptop owners in particular Getaway owners .
Thanks in advance.

Scrubcat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 22:22

Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 22:22
Scrubcat

You need to get the gas struts changed to a higher newton rating and / or the springs changed on the pop up gismo

The people who put the 120w solar panels x 2 on the roof should have told you this..

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 295882

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:24

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:24
Scrubcat,
I know this is basic but make sure you leave your door open as if you don't it is like vacuum and I also find there is a difference in which one I lift first I cant remember which one I lift first I think it is the front one first but I know if i lift the wrong one first it is difficult.
barb
AnswerID: 295909

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:09

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:09
SWAMBO also opens a few windows - reckons it makes a difference. One day I will get around to lubricating the slides on the scissor mechanism at the end and see if that helps.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 561980

Reply By: Scrubcat - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:55

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:55
Thanks for your comments and suggestions Richard ,Barb and Peter D.
It`s a nice day here in central Vic today so I will have a go at removing the struts and will also try some drylube on the track mechanism.
Thanks again,
Scrubcat.
AnswerID: 295944

Follow Up By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 14:05

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 14:05
Hi Scrubcat - we also have a Supreme get-away, but with an air conditioner on the roof. Like you, we found the roof too hard to lift.

Rang a mobile gas strut repairer - fitted upgraded gas struts - but the lid is still very hard to push up - we have to lie on the bed and push with our legs. hmmmmmm

As the gas struts begin at a very flat angle, they have limited vertical lift until they are half extended - but you need the extra lift at the start. Not sure what the solution is (electric?).

Would suggest you check for wood rot in the Supreme. Our 2006 model was just 11 months old and had extensive wood rot from badly applied sealant at manufacture. Showed up as stain marks on the internal ply, and "scribbles" on the ply veneer on the laminated beams (around the roof).

regards......................Keith
FollowupID: 562179

Sponsored Links