Goog's Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:24
ThreadID: 56146 Views:2088 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to do Goog's Track in Aug 08. Can anyone advise me if there is sufficient in the way of driving, birdlife etc to keep us busy for a couple of days (i.e. 2 nights) at Goog's Lake.

Thanks
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:14

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:14
G'day Russ, we were there during '06 & there was plenty of bird life, we had to get out early due to heavy storms that went through the area.
Very nice track but watch for vehicles who don't use flags & travle south.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 295948

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:54

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:54
Hi Rod,
We were there in August 07 and had a great time. Googs lake has plenty to see and there are lots of side drives to look at. We stayed one night at Googs lake and the next night we stayed at Mt Fynke. Excellent camp areas at both spots and worth the climb to the top of Mt Fynke. Nice temps in the day but dew was heavy in the morning. Everything was wet through.
Track was rough at the top of the dunes. Best to travel from the south and watch for oncoming traffic. Flags must be used
Get your pass from the tourism office in Ceduna and use you UHF
No water or fuel is available after Ceduna till you get to Glendambo.
have a great time
Cheers
Patrolman
FollowupID: 561989

Reply By: GerryP - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 16:32

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 16:32
Hi Russ,

Was there in 2003 and did a day trip to the east of the lake. There are some attractions such as Nalara Rock, but if you can get hold of Lake Everard Station and convince them to let you have a look at Childers Rocks and Tank, it's well worth the effort. I think you need to reassure them that you are a responsible group and that no harm will come to the site - they were pretty cautious when I enquired 5 years ago, but they did agree. It's a huge granite rock which has been worked on with hundreds of metres of low stone walls to guide any water run-off back to a large tank area. Pretty amazing stuff and makes you realise just how difficult life was back then.

It's a great track - enjoy!

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 295968

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:16

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:16
Thanks Gerry, will follow this up.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 562032

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 16:49

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 16:49
Russ,

we spent a couple of days there in 2006 travelling south to north. Want to go back and spend a bit more time at Mount Fink. The march flies were shocking in April. Plenty to keep you interested for a couple of days. Lots of wildlife and birdlife. The odd dingo will forage around the camp at night. We had a spot of rain on the camper trailer overnight which pooled in the tarp cover. We had numerous small and micro bats crawling over the canvas to get to the water which was a very interesting sight. A lone brumby came thru during the night and drank all our washing water as well. Water is at a premium out there. Great trip. Are you towing a trailer?

Cheers.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 295971

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:19

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:19
Thanks for the feedback.

No to the trailer, tent, may be swag.

Just trying to work out a time frame, so looks like two nights at Goog's Lake will be the go.

Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 562033

Reply By: chardthechippy - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:11

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:11
Gday Russ,
I am looking at going in the school holidays in June or July, I get confused, with my mate and tour operator from Follow Me 4WD. I am hoping it pans out and there are a few cars coming because it sounds like a good weekender trip with a bit of time to check out the west coast, cactus beach and eat some oysters before heading bush.
If you and your mates are looking for a guide and security with recoveries check out his web site. www.followme4wd.com.au
Just an innocent plug. Sorry mate.
Thanks Chard.
AnswerID: 296044

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:26

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:26
Hi Russ
Go against the grain and come from the North to the South. The tracks coming from the south are usually cut up very bad at the northern end from people that do not know how to drive in soft sand. It is not a hard trip and you will enjoy the scenery.There are some fine places near Mount Finke. It is then an easy drive from here to Googs Lake in 1 days. There are many fine camping spots at Googs Lake.

Cheers
Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 296047

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 21:49

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 21:49
Thanks Stephen,

Yes, have become aware of this problem. Will be starting out from Glendambo.

Thanks again.
Russ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 562300

Sponsored Links