Which LCD TV to mount in an offroad van?

I wish to mount a TV in my Coromal 535 Pioneer XC offroad van so I can watch the footy whilst travelling in areas where reception is available. Give a caravan yard a ring in my nearest town - just a LCD telly, not mounted $900. Said I'd run it past the finance department and get back to him. Seems bloody dear to me or is that on the money? Yeh he said it was top of the range marine type. Jeez I hope I don't get the L/C and the van in that deep I need a marinisedTV.
Can any one give me a bit of direction please,

Thanks Nick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:34

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:34
You can get an LCD Tv for less than $300, and a digital Set Top Box for about $50

Not sure I'd mount it though in an Off Road. Might be better to lay it on the bedd. Too Much viibration

AnswerID: 296049

Reply By: Ianw - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:47

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:47
Nick,
$900 will buy you an 80 cm one at DealsDirect.com.au. Bit big for a van though.
I bought a good widescreen Hi Definition 19inch Digital from Harvey Norman for $460 recently. (gift for the Old Folks) Seems to be going well. We have a 15 inch Sonic which came with our Supreme van, not digital tho'. Draws about 5amps at 12v. or can be run from 240v with plugpack. I take it off the mounting arm when we are travelling and put it on the bed. I don't think it should be left mounted when moving, especially off road. It is delicate electronic equipment, and bouncing around on a mounting bracket is not going to do the TV or the bracket any good.

Ian
AnswerID: 296056

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:15

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 00:15
We bought a KROSS el cheapo from eBay - later Woolworths had them out on special even cheaper. With an adaption to the power plug, it runs on our 12 volt system. It is mounted on the wall on a multi directional swing arm, which holds firmly against the wall, with velcro straps to make sure. It hasn't come to grief yet (except before we got the swing arm when i forgot to put it to bed and left in on the fridge). It even survived the fall and still works. The cheap antennae from DSE we have tried weren't much good.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 296072

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:20

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:20
A lot of the 12V TV/DVD players might do the job for you. I have a 10.4 inch screen at home with built in analogue tuner. Bought it for the mapping, too big, so is on the wall in the shed as a TV.

EBAY fold down TV screen and DVD

I have no idea about quality/longevity/dodgy sellers etc
AnswerID: 296100

Reply By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:25

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:25
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I had better arrange a day in town and stay the nite and shop around a bit

Many thanks Nick
AnswerID: 296103

Reply By: Scrubcat - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 19:58

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 19:58
G`Day Nick,
I have just fitted a 12v/240v LCD TV/DVD in my van ,cost $295.00
from Coles, same TV without the built in DVD is about $100.00 less. I modified a Computer Monitor bracket ( $3.00 from the recycle yard) and mounted TV to it so it can be viewed from just about anywhere in the van, TV can be removed and taken outside if desired.
For an antenna I bought a c/van one from Bunnings (about $50.00)I modified it so it was held part way along the boom instead of at the end, when it was mounted at the end the boom bent because the flimsy boom material won`t hold the weight . I fitted a short section of Aluminium tube to the vans rear bumper into which fits 3 telescopic sections of aluminium tube
which has the antenna on top . The height is about 2 meters above the vans roof. The joins are held with those plastic doovers with a bolt and wing nut that are used on telescopic annex/tent poles. All up cost, Less than $400.00 plus my time, and it works fine. Personally I don`t want TV while I am out `n`about but it is an SWMABO requirement.
Check it out,
Scrubcat
AnswerID: 296193

Follow Up By: Nickywoop - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 20:16

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 20:16
Thanks for that Scubby,

Will get to a Coles shop and check them out, next time I get to town. Sounds a bit better than I was quoted.

Regards Nick

FollowupID: 562282

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:27

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 21:27
Just bought a 15 inch AWA LCD tv from Big W for $248.00. Not the AWA we knew years ago though.Made in China especially for Big W. Works great, and for travel, with a bit of padding it fits into a standard size brief case. Just need to check out antennas now, and a way to fit one to our camper van. SWMBO will be pleased !! Cheers.

Roger B.
AnswerID: 296481

Sponsored Links