Running Waters

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:46
ThreadID: 56178 Views:1735 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy ,

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has visited Running Waters in the last three years . I visited there in 2004 and the springs were running strongly and the water in the pools was gin clear .

I went back in 2005 with mask and snorkel to explore the pools , but I was disappointed to find they were murky and the flow from the springs was down to a trickle .

I would like to know what the condition of the springs and pools during your visit and if you had been there before , did you notice any changes .

I have been told that these springs are not reliant on the rainfall in the area and that the water comes from thousands of miles away . I could be wrong about this , and would love to hear from anybody with solid information on the subject .

Woodie Woodie mine is not far away and is pumping huge amounts of water out of their open pits . I have done a mine tour and actually saw the running creek they have created with this water .

Is it possible that the underground flow of water to the Running Waters Springs , has been diverted by the Woodie Woodie Mine , or did I just experience a " bad year " on my second visit ?

Thanks ,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:07

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:07
Willie,

We called in for lunch there in August 2007. Sounds exactly the same as your first visit.
AnswerID: 296097

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:42

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:42
OK , I was a bit worried after my last visit that they might be being ruined .

So there was a strong creek running into the top pool and you could see the bottom 15 ft down ?

Willie .
FollowupID: 562150

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:10

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:10
Yep, we had had a magic couple of days at Carrawine Gorge and headed south, doing the loop around to Nullagine. But Running Waters was just as you describe. I hadn't been there before, so have nothing to compare it to. Not sure that I'd call it strong though, but water was tumbling into the pool. Might be able to dig up some photos tonight. It was a real oasis - all that shade, lots of paperbarks, and the crystal clear water stick in my mind. But from memory, it was pretty cramped for a group to camp there.
FollowupID: 562156

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 17:40

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 17:40
I spent 3 days there Sept. last year. camped about 120m below the north end, where the water runs in. Yes just a trickle.

Great spot. Woodie Woodie get there water from further downstream, up above the x-ing.

Plenty of Catfish in the hole. Use corn to catch the Boney Bream for bait. Use hook no sinker.
AnswerID: 296168

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 18:59

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 18:59
Gday,
I take it your not talking about Running Waters near Boggy Hole???
Cheers
AnswerID: 296183

Sponsored Links