Snow chains

Submitted: Monday, Jun 23, 2003 at 23:07
ThreadID: 5618 Views:5844 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
can anyone tell me where i can get a set of chains for a good price in the easten subs victoria ???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:46

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:46
I needed some in a hurry last year (didn't want to pay rental on them again for 5 days in snow up at Hotham) and got some for $180 from Autobarn, plus a 20% discount from a ticket in the back of the entertainment book, (someone you know will have one, but unsure if Autobarn has discount tickets in the back this year), so around $162. This was for the size to suit 275/70/16. Smaller sizes are cheaper. They are typical Chinese/Autobarn quality, but you hardly ever have to fit them on a 4wd in the snow anyway.

If you want a decent set, then I would not buy them. But for something to have in the snow for a few seasons, they are ideal on a 4wd.

I guess you probrably want them in the next few weeks, but keep an eye on the Trading Post as well.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 23335

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 07:37

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 07:37
I don't belive its worth buying a CHEAP set of chains there will come a time in the High Country when caught on a muddy track and need chains to get through and the Autobarn ones will not cut the mustard.

I do a lot of driving up to the snow and in the Vic Alps and carry a set of diamond pattern chains all year round and have had to use them quite a few times, with chains on you will do less damage to the track as you are not slipping and sliding everywhere, whether it be up hill or down.
FollowupID: 15517

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:42
Yeah, I agree. If you want to go into the mud, these chains are rubbish.

But if you want to go up to Mt Buller, Mt Hotham for a day of boarding, and if you are only buying them for a couple of seasons (changing cars in the future, or getting bigger tyres) then they should be ok. I throw mine in the back when going up and for the times that they have been fitting them to cars, you never had to for the 4wd, but you were of course required to carry chains.

Decent Konig, Rud, etc are the only way to go for mud, etc... Autobarn ones save you enough money for two days of lift tickets. Up to the individual.

I think these guys had second hand Konig last year when I was looking:

Roof Rack City

Don't know if they still do this year, but they are at:

Van and 4wd Extras
1 FORBES CLOSE
KNOXFIELD
VIC 3180
03 9763 0111

or

Roof Rack City
107 NORTHGATE DRIVE
THOMASTOWN
VIC 3074
03 9464 2227
FollowupID: 15525

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:21

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 10:21
What size tires are you running?? You cant get chains for some size tires.

What are you doing to do? just play in the snow, or driving up to a resort for skiing (EG on tar).

Anyway, Aussie Disposals has em, also ARB Sth, or Kilsyth, have em, or even shops in Mansfield you can get em, but why buy em, i'd rather see the hiring costs for something that MAY get used once a year.

We were up Mt Skene last weekend, the snow was not that bad, only around wheel high, and we didnt have chains, or even let the tires down at all..

going back up in few weeks too, and might have a day run up there this weekend, or Noogee is supposed to be good after a good dump o' the white stuff.

AnswerID: 23348

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:48
I chased up prices for me today. To fit 285/75-16.
I'm taking them bush as prefered item over a mounted winch. Means I can leave them in the garage when not needed around town. Also taking a Big Haul hand winch as a backup though.
Todays prices / pair:
ARB - Piranah diamond - $550
TJM - Konig diamond- $480
Repco - ? - $300
Powderworks Spare Sydney - AutoTechna (Diamond patt) $210

As I'll have them for quite a few years I'll probably go the Konig, I want reliability, imagine sitting in a big mud hole and they came off and wrapped around the axle cause I bought the cheappies.
Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 23407

Sponsored Links