4WD tail lights

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 14:52
ThreadID: 5626 Views:1337 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Wots the go with some of the new fourbies with expensive lookin tail lights set into the rear - these are inoperative , with a cheaper lookin working set attached to the bumper bar????A bad days sailing sure beats a good day at work
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:20

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:20
david
aus complaince requires the lights to be seen from a certian angle it was found that the lights in the gaurds were obstructed by the spare wheels ect on the back & the powers that be decided to meet aus complaince the cars must have them in the bumper,the manufactures didnt want to spend mega bucks rdesigning the cars so hence the comprimise of the inoperative lights in the gaurds.at least thats the story as ih have been fed it
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 23368

Reply By: Matt M - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:26

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:26
David

If you look closely you will see that its the only ones that have a rear wheel carrier!

Acording to ADRs if there is a rear wheel carrier and it is not central or the wheel obstructs vision of the light from a certain angle (basically anything if not central) then the lights must be mounted below the wheel and visible. Hence for Aust compliance they mount a second set on the bumper!
There is nothing to stop you wiring up the lights in the rear quarters and having a nice all round visible set of 5 lights! But the ones in the bumper legally have to stay!
Matt
AnswerID: 23369

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:53

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 15:53
its from 45 degrees..

"There is nothing to stop you wiring up the lights in the rear quarters and having a nice all round visible set of 5 lights!"

Few things here..

If a cop or RTA/Vicroads etc wanted to be anal, they could defect you for your lights that he cant see from 45 degrees.. And you know how they HATE to give 4b's crap.

And some cars when you hook up the extra lights, and run a trailer, its blowing fuses cause of the load on the circuit.

For the extra $$ why would you bother! it has brake lights and blinkers..
FollowupID: 15543

Follow Up By: Matt M - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:21
Valid point Truckster but I would doubt that any cop could justify defecting you because some of the light were not visible?? If at least one is from that angle..then is complies! Simple as that!

I would be inclined to always hook up a relay for my trailer lights wiring. Some of the trailers you get nowdays have multiple stop and indicator lights, so the load is there even if you dont have multiple vehicle lights.

To me I would prefer the vehilce in front of me on a dark or foggy night to have more correctly illuminated tail/stop lights than too little. I cant even begin to count the times I have driven behind a VP commodore or Taxi with only one of the FIVE tail/stop lights operating!!!!!

Matt.
FollowupID: 15548

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:30
I'd probably agree, wouldn't be worth his time, but then, why dont Nissan/Yota etc have lights there in the first place? Wouldnt be cost, as they had to get the new lights tooled up to have no light globes in them.

As I say, it would be something Mr Bacon could get you for, only if someone was being a smart arse, or giving him crap and he wanted to find things to defect you for... I think most of em are like us most of the time, not up with latest rules.

Sadly having been involved with importing bikes and getting them ADR'ed it aint "simple as that!" - sadly. You wouldnt believe the crap they want and expect sometimes... We even tried headlights from Current Manufacturer (yamaha, zook, honda etc) imported bikes to be told "sorry that headlight doesnt comply with ADR's"... We told him where it came from, to be told, Your not Yamaha, Zook, Honda etc and thats life...

The taxi thing, you sound shocked that the taxi only had 1 light working... I thought that was compulsory!

I'd like to see a blitz on Taxi's and their drivers for legalities! I think 10% would pass.
FollowupID: 15550

Follow Up By: Dion - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:10

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 18:10
I'll but in here with a hint for trailer lights. Although a little more exspensive, the L.E.D. lights available for trailers from Hella and Narva are worth their weight in gold. They give better illumination than conventional globes for far, far less power draw. Also you end up paying less in the long run as you aren't replacing globes, or trying to get the globes to get a good contact to work. Also, each 'light' is made up of multiple leds, so in the unlikely event a led does fail, it doesn't fail that whole light assembly.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 15560

Follow Up By: Matt M - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:51

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:51
Dion,

We have those LED lights on our Shark Cat Boat trailers at work and they are impressive although... As you would know they are expensive and all it took was a little bump from the cat when it was being manovered onto the tralier to put the smallest little crack into the edge of the lens. Then condensation got in and within a week or so the light was totally caput!
It was a huge hit either just a nudge was enough to crack the end pieces of the housing, it gets very costly replacing them all the time. Would be a little different if it was a private vehicle, there would be more care, but they are fragile.

Matt.
FollowupID: 15732

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 16:51
Re: getting booked for not being able to see the added lights from 45deg, even tho the lower lights are visible, doesn't it follow that if towing a caravan, the lights on the back of your vehicle are obstructed and you could get booked?
Gerry
AnswerID: 23383

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 22:40
Does the caravan have lights?
FollowupID: 15585

Sponsored Links