10,400ks in 6 weeks - what a hoot!!!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 14:51
ThreadID: 56281 Views:3036 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We're back!!

Got home last Sunday after a little over 6 weeks on the road.

Left Cairns during the Mackay flooding so could not get out to see a friend coz the roads were flooded so we were told however we headed straight through to Brisbane as the young fella was scheduled for surgery and we were his "carers". On the way through Mackay on the Bruce there was absolutely no evidence of what had in the city and so it was all the way down save for the low lands south bound outta Rocky.

Spent a week in Brisbane and eventually caught up with Johnny Trackabout and hadda squizz at his factory.

After the young fella flew back to Cairns we headed off south down the coast road as we needed to be in Melbourne to visit my Dad on a certain day as he had things happening. So we were unable to get to Canberra to catch up with another acquaintance.

Had a night at the Cann River free camp and ended up having a good night with some people from the West - 2 lots and a young Dutchman travelling Australia in a ford wagon. All in all an excellent night with the fire and heapsa amber stuff as well.

Stayed a night at a mates place in Traralgon and while parked in his driveway and right outside the bedroom window and some low life decided he needed my ROO LITES more than I so he took them. No damage thank goodness but lesson learned - use nyloc nuts and put padlocks below the nuts and when ya get home - take em off. Nevva even been used in anger as well.... Pretty peeved about that.

Spent a little over a week in Melbourne and boy is it in dire straights with the drought. No grass just dust every where and some of the lengths the people are going to keep what little green stuff they have is extraordinary. I lived there about 22 yrs ago and nevva saw anything like that. I hope they get some good rain soon but not all at once as is usually the case.

After leaving Melbourne we headed out to Echuca, Swan Hill and Mildura. Had a great time doing the paddle steamer trip in Echuca on the Pevensey also known as Philadelphia in the TV series all the rivers run. Great time and well worth the money.

Took heapsa pics on the way as well. Headed off again to Broken hill and caught up with Jack Absalom at his gallery and purchased a few of his travel videos and even though he did them over 20 yrs back they are as relevant today as back then. Jack does not suffer fools well at all but he is a well known character in Australia and well worth having a chat to as his stories are gripping about how he grew up and how tough it was for him as a lad.

Tripped out to Silverton and apart from the usual attractions we visited the old Jail and what a place that is. Best collection of Australiana I have ever seen and hat’s off to the Broken Hill Hysterical society and all the others who have contributed to the museum. Once again heapsa pics and so it was that we headed of in to the sunset for Charters Towers.

When we got there we headed straight to the professional Photoshop in Gill street to download my 1 gig camera disk and told the fella I was paranoid about losing any of the pics (about 600 all up) and he assured me no worries. He even told me he checked that they were all on the 2 disks. Taking his word and the fact that is what he does for a living, decided to format the disk. Got home and guess what..PRETTY PEEVED at that I can assure you. Lost all the shots from the Old Wentworth jail thru to the Towers.....

Anyway got home safely and all up had a great time...Only mechanical problem was a loose screw in the trailer connector which blew a couple of fuses (turn indicators and hazard) . Easy fix and that was that.

Have included a pic that I love of the vehicle along side a station sign on the road to the weir at the Towers. Also a pic of the Pevensey.

Fuel cost (diesel) was $2,326 all up but I have not worked out how many litres yet but will do soon and post up.

Till next time...

CU..

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Grrr!!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:12

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:12
goodday cd
sounds like a great trip
we did hear you had some computor troubles and also some help setting up again

steve
AnswerID: 296643

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 17:44

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 17:44
Hiya Crazy

Sounds like a great trip,Hea you can get sotware o recover lost ics trough format etc etc Here is an example Data Doctor
AnswerID: 296658

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 17:45

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 17:45
Sorry bloody laptop keyboard playing up (daughters)
FollowupID: 562717

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 15:15

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 15:15
G/day Mate.

Sounds like you had fun.

Hope the family are great, Philip is growing up at 100 mph, and keeping us on our toe's.

We did our first Tour the other day and it looks like we are in for a bumper year, although we are getting a lot less rain it is just like a dry season day today, nice and fresh, so hopefully the park will open up quicker this year.

Don't forget that my home is your home, so see you soon hey.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 296800

Sponsored Links