Eye lid glued together.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 23:38
ThreadID: 56302 Views:2279 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just last night I had a laugh at a certain tread, about Nissan's, So today while servicing one I copped it big time.

While trying to remove a 8mm hex bolt, I used a Allen key and a hammer to crack it, well the first couple were easy and then bang, I hit one it didn't move, so a bigger hit and bang, The Allen key springs off the bolt head and got me in the eye.

I won't repeat my first word's but it was a work shop so you can imagine.

The initial pain was intense and I really thought I had done some damage, but a visit to the clinic proved to be a small cut and a black eye the cut being glued back together.

One can only say I was lucky, Necessity being the mother of invention, when I got back to the workshop I got the said Allen key and cut it to a length of about 30mm, then placed it into a 8mm socket and using my new air ratchet,I preceded to undo the rest without injury.

We live and learn.

Cheers Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 23:47

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 23:47
Maaaatte!!!
Put a ring spanner over it and use a bit more force..

Sounds like you survived though.
Could have been worse!

Dont let dirt get in!!!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 296737

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 23:55

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 23:55
Gday Hairy.

I'm a self taught back yard mechanic, but working in the work shop with a clued up mechanic, I have bought a lot of new tools and made new tools out of old ones, who says your to old to learn.

Anyway the eye is still a bit sore but the Bundy is taking over, It's a pity I can't smack my self in the eye in the morning to get over the Bundy.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 562815

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 00:20

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 00:20
The Bundy sounds like a good idea........makes me mouth water
AnswerID: 296739

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 03:48

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 03:48
Hows it going Steve ,

Glad to hear you are ok , at my wopk they have an eye injury video to scare eveyone into wearing safety glasses , worst one is a bit of wire from a wire wheel sticking straight out of someone eye.

Not sure if you have seen them but you can buy sets of sockets with allen keys sticking out of them like you decribed,beats useing a normal allen key and if really tight you just get a big bar.

Glenn.
AnswerID: 296743

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:47

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:47
Sorry! to hijack this a little, but for Glens info and others 3M make a fibre wheel that does just as good a job as a wire wheel, only difference it doesn't throw bits at you,

Good to hear only minor damage to the head Steve.

Have a good one
FollowupID: 562821

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:13

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:13
NOthin like a funny friday huh! Gotta watch those Allen Keys, they have got me a few times over the yrs too....but your one is a classic!!

AnswerID: 296747

Sponsored Links