Holy Marine (Brisbane) No care taken...no responsibility accepted.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 07:24
ThreadID: 56306 Views:5675 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks, Just a cautionary word of warning. I recently spent two months setting up a 4X4 for an extended trip around Australia. Mid February I was getting the last of the modifications done on my roof rack at Holt Marine at Everton Hills (Brisbane) before a trial run to Fraser Island. I had the truck almost fully packed, all my fishing gear, boat on top etc and guess what. They were broken into that night and the buggers used my truck to make off with a number of outboards and GPS units as well as all my stuff! As you can imagine we were gutted, all the work down the drain and we will most likely be out of pocket about $15,000 for all the mods and equipment. Well at least I could rely on Holt Marine to do the right thing and claim through their insurance...wrong!

Almost two months later and after calls to Holt Marine (no reply!) Letters and email (no reply!) Phone calls (no response!) I have decided to take legal action (to date no reply!). They obviously couldn't care less. So just a word of warning about Holt Marine and any other two bit operation that don't effectively secure customers goods. Ask how they intend to secure your vehicle/boat/whatever and if they are insured or not. Bloody rude if you ask me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiserman1961 (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:19

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:19
Geez da76, i can really understand that you are ticked off. Hope you'll get some money or your truck back undamaged. Instead of treating those scumbags like royalty in prison they should get their hands chopped off. Pretty sad of Holts to treat you like this too. Common decency seems to be a thing of the past i am afraid.
Good luck to you mate!
Cheers, Udo
AnswerID: 296748

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:05

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:05
Da76's plight is now becoming a common place occurrence. The trouble is thieves are targeting the places where modifications are carried out on four wheel drives. business insurance covers damage done, or poor workmanship by employees or an accident that happens whilst test driving but doesn't cover the loss of a vehicle when all reasonable care is taken. IE:- when shop and vehicle is locked up and keys removed.
It is getting to the stage that one of the questions you have to ask customers is do they have insurance against theft and if they don't then it is left on your premises at there own risk.
Sometimes I am glad I am getting older as it is a reflection of the times that this type of theft is happening more often and people are only finding out after it happens that they aren't covered.
This happened to us the Christmas before last, We got the three cars back and paid out of our own pocket to do the repairs but now have signs warning that vehicles left on premises are left at the owners own risk.
AnswerID: 296757

Follow Up By: da76 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:37

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:37
Hi oldsquizzy. Sounds like you have been looking after your customers ( all credit to you) and I suppose thats my point. Holt Marine didn't secure my vehicle properly (outside the shed visible from the road) and the keys were easily found in their office. My point is more that they don't have the basic courtesy to reply to me in any way, just ignore me and hope I go away.

Looking forward to visiting Kununurra again and going up to Kalumbroo!

FollowupID: 562829

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:35

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:35
Just a thought
Would you be able to post a picture of your vehicle with the accessoried fitted as many of us live in Brisbane and we can keep an eye out for it. Really would like to catch these characters.Need details of vehicle.
AnswerID: 296759

Follow Up By: da76 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:42
Thanks Trevor. I dont have an up to date photo as, guess what! the camera was in the 4x4! The photo attached is as we bought it without the roofrack. Rego is 755KRC

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3772&stc=1&d=1203271521

Thanks for the offer!
FollowupID: 562831

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:00

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:00
If I go to the above site, all I get is log on details.
unable to see pics.
Is there a way around?
FollowupID: 562913

Reply By: Heefers - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:42
Shouldn't your insurance cover the theft and the $15,000 worth of modifications? Just curious as the same thing happened to my parents and their insurance covered it no problems. Actually happened just around the corner from Holts at the Auto electrician now that I think back.
AnswerID: 296760

Follow Up By: da76 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:45

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:45
Hi Heefers. My insurance just covered the vehicle. (and $4000 less than it should have been). We were just about to update all the accessories on the policy before we went to Fraser as this was the last modification! My fault in that respect but who would have guessed?

FollowupID: 562832

Reply By: pepper2 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 13:14

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 13:14
There are always two sides to a story i think we go too far presenting an unstantiated allegation against a named third party,damaging their reputation and possibly exposing the owners of this site to legal action.
The other party has some rights too,not saying your storey is wrong but i think you are wrong to denegrate someone else in this forum....just my thoughts...
AnswerID: 296787

Follow Up By: da76 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:08

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:08
Hi Pepper 2 Firstly my primary reason for posting this is to provide the users of this forum with a warning to avoid the issues I now face. Secondly I am not 'denigrating' anyone and my 'allegations' as you call them are fact and recorded by Holt Marine in their police report. I am conscious forums are sometimes used to maliciously maline a innocent party, if you feel that I have it was not my intention.

This forum has been exceptionally helpful to me in preparing for my 3 year trip. I also want to share.

Cheers

David

FollowupID: 562860

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:52

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:52
G'day Pepper

I dont see anything wrong with this post, all he is doing is stating fact, not fiction....anyway if you think its wrong why not just hit the alert moderator button and see what they think...

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 562919

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:38

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:38
There is nothing new about this. I remember back in the early 50s when a similar thing happened to the taxi owner at Stanwell Park. His taxi was in for service, it was written off in a test drive. He was changing his insurance company but did not have any overlap in the policies and was not insured on the fateful day. It was up to him to have his vehicle insured so he had no comeback.

It is exactly the same today - it is up to you to insure your own vehicle, accessories and contents. Holt Marine are probably not replying to you because of legal advice. It does not matter what you or others think is the moral situation, you have to work by the law of the land, I think all you can do is to learn from the incident. I feel for you, but that is all the assistance we can offer. Some friends had a similar experience recently with their caravan, we have given them sympathy but they are getting on with life.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 296792

Follow Up By: Camoco - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:41

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:41
I thank David for bringing a potential grey area to our attention. Whilst this may have been going on for some time his situation brings some very valid points.

1. His vehicle he has spent some time preparing is now history.

2. The business appears to have broken off contact. Whilst this may be a legal advise it is poor people skills and as he says RUDE. They could at least acknowledge his queries even if they have nothing further to say.

3. You and others have mentioned insurance for accessories but I find it hard to accept it is possible to insure for accessories being fitted. Surely an insurance company would expect you to have the fitment completed before covering your insured extras.

4. As a retailer I am expected to cover any damage done by anyone to anything inside my shop. How is that different to David's situation? His insurance should cover all goods within and include all equipment in it's care whether owned by them or not. If they cannot afford to cover a Roll's Royce that is stolen whilst in their care for example, then do not accept a job that involves them.

5. If we all work by the law of the land only, we would not be out there helping others less fortunate than ourselves. We do it because we are compassionate and that is also the way we run our business even if it means we trade a loss for certain jobs.

Why do we hate lawyers, because they only see the law and not morals or compassion.
If the incident David had happened to me I would be cranky too and letting everyone know about it. It's just not right.
FollowupID: 562917

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 18:29

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 18:29
Get a lawyer - that will easily sort this whole mess out. He/she will advise you of your rights and what you can do to get compensation.
AnswerID: 296821

Sponsored Links