BIKE CARRIER FOR CAMPER TRAILER

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:56
ThreadID: 56318 Views:5463 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Travelling to from Eden up East Cost to Cape York for 10 weeks. Have a hardtop campertrailer and wish to take two adult mountain bikes and one childs bike with us. Any bright ideas on how to carry the bikes. If we mount it on the a frame of camper trailer - can't get into rear of Prado. If we mount on read of camper trailer can't access kitchen in camper trailer. Have thought about mounting on top of camper trailer - but unable to purchase anything to do this. Has anybody had similar problems and come up with a workable solution?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:07

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:07
the camper trailer we bought 2nd hand the bloke had welded a piece of square tube same size as a hayman reese tow hitch under the back of the trailer and the bike rack slid in the same as a hayman reese on the back of the car and he had adapted the rack to take 4 bikes

steve
AnswerID: 296810

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:16

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 20:16
Image Could Not Be Found
This is the way to go and you can trasfer it to your car at any time.
Colin.
FollowupID: 562914

Reply By: Stevie 90 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:35
Brad,

What about the roof of your Prado, maybe some sort of roof-rack or cage or if you want to go to the extent you can buy a number of accessories from "rola" or Rhino rack to carry bikes etc.....

Stevie
AnswerID: 296864

Reply By: rags - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 22:59

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 22:59
Hi
On our jayco camper we carry 4 adult bikes on the roof on a rack i built myself. The concept is that i have 3 bars , 2 to support the rear wheels of the bikes with channels running between these bars to form a slot into which each rear wheels sits.The front bar has 4 fork mounting blocks [that you buy from any good bike shop] bolted onto the bar. I remove the front wheel of each bike and mount the front fork of each bike into these mounting blocks tightening quick release skewers through the forks which are part of the blocks. I then throw a strap over the rear of each bike as added safety.This has proved quite sucessful over 8 years of travel with this camper,i need to remove the bikes each time we set up camp but this takes maybe 5 mins extra.Not sure how this would go with your hard floor but the bikes do travel well in this way, only down side is that i need space to carry the 4 wheels, oneday i will make up a rack to carry the wheels.
hope this helps
Russell
AnswerID: 296884

Follow Up By: scottyg - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:57

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:57
I found the easiest solution to carry the front wheel was to buy some double sided velcro which you can buy at spotlight and cut 4 x 200mm lengths and velcro the wheel to the frame of the bike. It never comes off and you can lift the bike and wheel on and off the rack as one unit.
FollowupID: 562995

Sponsored Links