GPS reliability on the Adelaide to Darwin trek

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 19:55
ThreadID: 56327 Views:2471 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me wheather there are any GPS issues to watch out for along this trek and are the POI's acurate. Thanks T&S.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:07

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:07
Depends on what brand it is, if it's a Garmin or Magellan then I think you will find it will 99% spot on , other makes ...NO COMMENT, I have used my Garmin's to put to test the POI's i downloaded from the POI database the rest area's, camp sites, etc and various waypoints on that road and many other road's and find them to very accurate, If you want to get some POI's try this link .

POI Database

Don't leave it in the car while absent.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 296852

Follow Up By: azp777 - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:09
We got a TomTom One Xl so i was wondering if they were acurate outside the populated areas. Thanks T&S
FollowupID: 562952

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:52

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:52
A GPS should be fairly accurate no matter where it is as it relies on coordinates from several satellites to know where it is.

However as far as maps are concerned GIGO rules.

GPS units are like computers, they are dumb animals and rely on the info put into them by a human.

If its incorrect thats what will show.

Its not the units fault, it knows where it is, just the map can be incorrect.

Also as the TOM TOm one is a street mapper it will probably only show major roads outside of most populated areas.
FollowupID: 563090

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:08

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 21:08
Never had any issues anywhere and the poi off a gps.....never used them so no idea but i would say acurate.....

the only issue (i tell a lie) we had with a gos around there was turning it off at some stage aroud Dalhousie and turning it back on a bit down the track and it said that our average speed was over 1000kph!!!!!!!!

there are heaps of POI......which ones are you liking??????
AnswerID: 296853

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:24

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:24
I've used a number of different GPS receiver's over the year's and found them all reasonably accurate. Magellan 315, Navman PDA GPS sleeve, Globalsat BT338.

The original Datasend maps for the Magellan had incorrect cords for some outback towns. Most of the Hema, Geoscience and topo maps I currently use in Ozi are OK. There were a couple of topo maps with errors available on some websites but I believe they have now mostly been fixed.

Had a few issues with the maps provided by Navman, Tomtom and Copilot which I understand are Sensis derived. Mostly lack of roads in the outback and routing errors.
AnswerID: 297102

Sponsored Links