Hope I can do it this time.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 22:56
ThreadID: 56339 Views:2416 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
For the people on this forum that are aware (and others) of the fight that our darling Simba has had over the past 16 months with cancer has ended. We had to make the decision to have her put down on Monday morning, it has taken all this time (and a few tries) to get this post up, even still the tears are flowing.
We did have an extra 16 months after her leg amputation but only a few weeks after the vet had confirmed that the cancer had returned. We do miss her so much.

Thanks to all the people who helped with my original thread and all your thoughts at the time.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:03

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:03
G'day Dunworkin

Sorry to hear that mate...Bloody cancer....doesnt care who it takes, i know how you feel, lost my shepard to cancer a few yrs ago, still hurts when i think about it.......All the best mate.

Cheers.......Dave
AnswerID: 296886

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:16

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:16
Thanks for that Dave, I too hate that word cancer, it is so prevalent in our family.

Thanks again

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562954

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:04

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:04
I had 18 years with my best mate .... I feel your loss.

"There is one best place to bury a dog.
"If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death,
and down the well-remembered path,
and to your side again.

"And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.

"People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people
who may never really have had a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.

"The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master."

--- Ben Hur Lampman ---
from the Portland Oregonian Sept. 11, 1925
AnswerID: 296887

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:17

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:17
Oh boy now that has got the tears rolling again, thanks for that Shaker, it is exactly where she is and will always be.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562955

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:56

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:56
Funny. Not 4 weeks past, the better half & myself were preparing for a few weeks away in the van. Old Sam at 15 years was past his prime and had lost control of his bladder etc etc.

We spoke frankly on Tuesday night and I decided that we had to do something and couldn't take him on our holiday. I had a very sleepless night that night but before leaving for work said "Sam won't be here tonight when you come home"! All day at work this played on my mind but I was determined that after a very good 15 years, the poor old boy had to go. It was hurting both of us to see him suffer the way he was.

Bugger me, you would think he had heard us talking the night before, because when I come home on Wednesday, he is dead on the kitchen floor. Poor old bugger had nobody with him in his final hour.

I suppose the saving grace was that he went his way when he was ready and saved me the need to feel guilty about doing the unspeakable.

We will alway have our 'mates' with use and currently we have three of the little mongrels (Mum Dad & Son) but we love 'em all and will alway hold the fondest memories in our hearts.
I remember as a kid singing the old song "Old Shep" (still know all the words) and how true it is.
Bob
AnswerID: 296904

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 01:08

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 01:08
Hi Kazza055, I must admit that I wish that our girl could have gone on her own terms, it is that which is haunting me so much, it was only her legs that gave away in the end but the rest of her was as good as gold, she was as good as she looks in her photo but she was also in a lot of pain being bone cancer it is one of the worst and most aggressive that a dog can get.

"Old Shep", that song brought tears to my eyes when I was a kid, and yes I still know all the words and you wouldn't believe it I just downloaded it onto my MP3 player a few weeks ago before this all happened, sure won't be able to listen to it now, will have to delete it.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562970

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 01:50

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 01:50
Dusty wants you to look at the link , bottom of the page.

From Dusty

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 296905

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:07

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:07
Thank you so much for that Dusty, that is just wonderful much appreciated and Simba would have loved it as well even though she was very camera shy. Thanks also for all of your thoughts over the past 16 months.

Thanks to you as well Doug, how well you have done that up, she looks so real there.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562971

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:04

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:04
Deanna
Our pleasure

Not looking forward to my turn either that I know will come , The old fella will be 12 in June.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 562997

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:17

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:17
Dusty looks so fit and as long as he doesn't get that damn cancer you should have him for some years yet. Slim & Joy will help you through as well. The only thing we can all do is enjoy them while we have them.

Cheers

Deanna

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562998

Sponsored Links