west coast of tassie

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:16
ThreadID: 56356 Views:3509 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We (just 2 of us no kids ) are planning to do the west coast of tassie this summer (4wd+ off road trailer )for some nice camping spots maybe a bit of fishing for about 3 weeks.
Anyone willing to share some ideas of where to stay and maybe where not to ???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:51

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:51
Don't know if it still the same but we were there quite a few years back - hired a campervan - and we were told that you could camp in just about any roadside stop - we did a couple of them - but by far the best was at "Teds Beach" on the banks of Lake Pedder - spectacular scenery.
Have a great time.
jules
AnswerID: 297002

Reply By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:34

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 17:34
Hi K & D
If only going to West Coast there is camping at Marrawah ( which is up near the North West tip ) a little further south lots of camping areas at Arthur River, do the river trip its interesting, then down to Couta Rocks. Down to Corinna, cross the Pieman River on the Fatman Ferry and travel to Macquarie Heads (good camping on the beach if weather ok, other wise in land a bit ). As the previous thread mentioned Lake Pedder, but this will bring you to the Southern part of the State.

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297004

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:09

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:09
Hi there,
I hope you have a great time when you visit wonderful Tasmania. Buy this book "4WD tracks in Tasmania: Off road Tasmania" from the Exploroz shop as it is very good. Weather can be anything from 35 to -degrees depending on your whereabouts. Make sure you carry warm clothes and sunburn cream. I lived in Perth for years and the sun never burnt me up as badly as the Tassie sun. (Hole in Ozone layer). You will need to get fishing licence ( http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/ifs/) for inland fishing and depending on where you go you may need a Tassie Parks Pass (http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/).
You can just about camp anywhere in Tassie but please take out what you take in.
Some fishing info
http://www.coastview.com.au/site/arthurs_lake/
Some Lakes info
http://www.hydro.com.au/home/Tourism+and+Recreation/Lake+Levels.htm
Shops in a lot of the west coast towns normally close about 5:30 so prepare during the day.

I do a yearly 4 day trip with my mate that includes Lake Burbury and that has fantastic trout fishing. If you are going to stay overnight in Queenstown and want a real bed and shower then the SilverHills Motel at $40 a room per night is brilliant value and extremely friendly. Use it everytime.

I have no pecuniary interest in any of these places mentioned. I am not even a legitimate Tasmanian (proven by the fact I have no scar).
We visited Tassie in 1989 and apart from a 2 year stint in Adelaide have been here since. Magnificent place to live and bring up a family (and affordable). Can even drive around the state in a day. Hard drive but achievable.

Rgds

Nev
AnswerID: 297011

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:22

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:22
"......in a day", yea its called Targa Tasmania.... :))...silverback
FollowupID: 563059

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:12
If your the hiking kind, I'd recommend the walk from Scotts Peak Dam to Junction Creek (two days return). From there you will have a view of the Western Arthur Range. Don't go any further unless your well prepared and know what your doing.

As others have said, visit Savage River and the Pieman.

There are also many areas south west of Deloraine that have some of the best camping spots in Australia.

I don't know what it's like now, but bait fishing was frowned upon in the lakes back in the 80's. Both Fly fishing and spinning were acceptable.

Some areas in the south west are also home to some of the most aggressive March Flies I've ever come across during summer.

Have a good trip

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 297018

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:49

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:49
Hi Kim and Doug

We just loved Tasmania. My trip reports are now in MyBlog. I recommend Camps Australia Wide (v4 available from the ExplorOz bookshop) to find free campsites, as the terrain means you can't just drive off the road anywhere to stop like you can over much of the mainland. There aren't as many good free camp sites on the west coast as there are on the east coast, but as mentioned, Ted's Beach on Lake Pedder is tops if you are going into the Gordon River Dam. People there with boats tried for trout but didn't catch any while we were there (fishing licence required for all inland fishing). You can also camp (no facilities) at any of the many Lakes and hydro dams.

We stayed at the Zeehan CP so we could take the boat tour at Strahan, and the Queenstown Strahan railway. It was a small quiet CP, and well appointed.

Enjoy you trip

Motherhen

Image Could Not Be Found
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 297028

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 22:08

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 22:08
Probably a little far South for what you plan, but if you end up anywhere near it Cockle Creek is a great place to camp and fish. I believe it's as far South as you can drive in Tasmania. Good free camp sites with clean drop loos. A lot of history there also. The sign says 'Population 2" The Ranger, and his dog I think!
AnswerID: 297070

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 16:06

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 16:06
Tassie is great and have been there 4 times in 8 years (including just the other month). I am into kayaking so brilliant spot for it. Just spent 1 week on the Gordon River which was brilliant.

The 4wd tasmania book was mentioned. We bought this (had to pre order as it's a low volume stock for the book shops). Worth every cent. Very basic but easy to follow directions.

There is a town called "Pillinger". It was established as a 'competitor' for Strahan. It survived a few years then got abandoned. Great track going in and I have been told the best walking track in tasmania (following the old railway line) into the town. Old huts, pubs, wharf etc. I couldn't do it because the track was closed for maintenance on the day we had planned to do it (buggar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

On the map it is half way down Macquarie harbour on the Eastern side in a small bay.

Scotts Peak (middle of Tassie back from Strathgordon) is also a very nice place to camp.

Strahan is great. Must do are:
a) the nightly play performed in the main street of Strahan
b) dune buggies at Henty Dunes (sand dunes)
c) Gordon River (boat and/or water plane)
d) Cockle Creek (southern most town in Tasmania below Hobart)
e) Coles Bay (though quite touristy)
f) Port Arther (ghost tour is quite good). Dont both with the Launceston Ghost Tour.

Sorry for babbling on but as you can tell I just love the place !!
http://www.gossadventures.com/tasmania.html
AnswerID: 297197

Sponsored Links