what are the best tarps to use

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:12
ThreadID: 5637 Views:9122 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Going to Moreton for three weeks and will need to setup a camp kitchen and general shade shelter. Any suggestions on tarp configurations and sizes. I will need side protection as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: basecamp15 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:35
I use Silver tarps for the top (and sides if you are doing that) and the cheapy blue tarp as the ground tarp. Try get the ground tarp at a garage sale. My ground tarp is 24 X 30 so pretty big, helps keep the sand and stuff away as much as possible. It depends on how big the camp will be on what size Silver tarp you want, poles are not cheap either. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 23403

Follow Up By: relaxed (Fraser Coast-QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:04

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:04
basecamp15, have you ever tried shadecloth as a groud sheet in sandy areas, works a treat. All the sand falls through but doesn't work up through the cloth. Next time your camping at the beach, check out the other camps, everyone up here is now using it. I only buy the cheap stuff for places like those warehouse stores like Solleys.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 15590

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:41

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:41
Yeah, go with the shade-cloth for the ground. I've tried them all (tarps, carpet etc.) and shade-cloth really is the best. If it rains water doesn't pool like on tarps and then turn to "mud".
I use a "Durarig" tarp for a fly with the "D" ring corners. I've had one over my boat outside for 2 years and it still looks and works great.
Can be VERY windy in winter so get some BIG sand pegs.
Moreton is great, have a good time!!!!
FollowupID: 15598

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 12:18
Yeah, agree with the shadecloth for the floor. That's what we use. Ours is made from the mid-weight cloth in the 3.66 metre size. Total size is 9.5m x 6.5 m but it folds up to take less space than our tarp that's half that size. Shadecloth is also noe the preferred flooring in most commercial and NP camping grounds as it allows the grass, if there is any to breath and thereby causes less damage. If you don't want to go to the trouble of edging it and fitting eyletts/rings, it doesn't matter. You can drive pegs through it and the ensuing hole won't tear or "run". Try that with a tarp and see what happens.

For the top, have a look at the tarps at www.discountcamping.com.au they are silver one side and dark green the other. They are well made and the D-rings are tough. We use the 12' x 16' one as a roof for the alfresco cooking and dining.

Stay away from the blue tarps, except as an extra ground sheet for the tent. The March/horse flies seem to be attracted to the blue.Talk is cheap ...
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 15658

Reply By: Glenno - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 22:09
In preference to using a tarp as a groundsheet, try shade cloth. While its not the cheapest solution, the sands falls through the shade cloth, so you dont have to take a broom and constantly sweep the floor. Plus it helps to not kill the little amount of grass in some camping grounds.

Cheers,
Glenn.
AnswerID: 23409

Follow Up By: relaxed (Fraser Coast-QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:06

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 23:06
Sorry Glenno, replied to basecamp before I read your reply.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 15591

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 00:26

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 00:26
Remember the wind comes in july :(
AnswerID: 23426

Reply By: peter - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 19:10
Thanks for all the handy hints. I am impressed with the ideas. My concern is the amount of poles I need to take. Our current hole ridden tarp takes 18 poles for each eyelet. Are spreader bars the answer for extra lateral wind strength? The last time we went we had 55 pegs in the ground to hold our camp in place! And the tarp had to have rope over the top in a x formation to stop it lifting. Has anyone used shade cloth on the sides of their camp? How does it go in the rain and wind?
AnswerID: 23507

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:54

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:54
Peter, you'll never avoid the "parachute syndrome" totally. The bigger the tarp, the stronger the wind, the greater the effect. We reduce the effect somewhat by adjusting the tarp so it slopes toward the groud on the windward side (where the wind is coming from). It seems to equalise the effects of the wind under and abive the tarp a little. Spreader bars under the tarp would help stabalise the structure and over(?) the tarp may help control the tarp but you'd really need to anchor those poles well or you could end up with a pretty dangerous structure flying around.

We have also used shadecloth as a screen wall. We use a mid-weight (tighter weave) cloth. It dramatically reduces the penetration of rain and wind, but not totally. You sufferer the same (albeit reduced) parachute effect as get with a solid tarp. Again, secure it properly and the slight amount of wind it lets through should avert any risk of an airborne camp. Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 15745

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:56

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:56
P.S. apparently there is currently a "severe weather" warning for the QLD coast. Its further north, (as far south as Fraser Is) but may have some impact on Morton.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 23560

Reply By: peter - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:55

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:55
Thankx for the advice I'm going to put off trip until x mas. Looking into shade cloth for floor covering.
AnswerID: 23564

Sponsored Links