TFT touch screen integral to sun visor?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:10
ThreadID: 56370 Views:2038 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I see a lot of posts from people running laptops for their GPS who want a small touchscreen so the laptop can stay safely and unobtrusively tucked away. Has anyone had any experience with this Chinese outfit that seems to be doing a DVD player/TV tuner/FM radio tuner in the sun visor?

Site Link
Image Could Not Be Found

From my point of view, the last thing I need or want in my truck is a DVD player or a TV. (That's why you *leave home* and go bush.) But the idea of a 7 inch touch screen that just neatly replaces the sun visor is very attractive. It strikes me that it would be much, much easier than trying to figure out how and where to mount your Lilliput 7" TFT. But the question is, does the thing work? And will it take an RGB input from a laptop?

Would love to hear from anyone who's tried this (or a similiar product).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew from Vivid Adventures - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:26

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:26
Well no.

But the product you have showen is no Lilliput touch-screen. It has not computer interfaces - the USB is so you can play JPEG files as a slide show.

I have a single DIN chinese TFT screen (800x600) touch screen and a single DIN chinese DVD/CD/Audio system which is connected up to a laptop which works quite reliably to run OziExplorer.

Only issues were the depth of the 2 DIN space in the 100 Series where the old Tojo sound system went was not deep enough and the lip of the top of the dash hangs out over the top of the audio system space, so when the pop-out display pops out it would touch it - except that I have it mounted sticking out a couple of inches.
AnswerID: 297022

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:38

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:38
Dirk,

I haven't personally owned one of these, but I have used a few in vehicles that a mate has installed for customers. Most tend to take AV inputs, but only composite not RGB, and the touch screen only works locally - it will not link to a laptop.

While the concept is good, they are awefull to use on the move. Because they sit closer to you than one on the dash, and because they are high up, they make me car sick, and I find that to focus on the screen takes way longer than a screen on the dash, or in the console. You may get used to it over time, but I will never own one.

Either get a 2 DIN unit or a 1 DIN flip out screen for the dash.
AnswerID: 297024

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:40

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:40
. . . and displays in Sunvisors are illegal.
AnswerID: 297025

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:28

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:28
I have seen an Aussie advertiser who states the sunvisor screen he sells is THE ONLY LEGAL ONE for sale in Australia.
How true it is I dont know.
FollowupID: 563084

Sponsored Links