trickel charge

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:10
ThreadID: 56371 Views:1883 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all this is 3rd time l have tryed to ask this question maybe its the home made bourbon but hear go's can l run a 240v fridge through a inverter while driving, is it safe.Will a 20watt panel be enough to tricklel charge a 100ah battery running only lights and maybe a dvd. thanks all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dunaruna - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:41

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:41
If the inverter is good quality pure sinewave and it has adequate circuit protection and it is fitted and wired above and beyond 'standards' then yes, it can be done and it can be safe. But you will need adequate battery(s) to feed the inverter and adequate charging to keep the battery(s) happy.

You would be lucky to get 0.75 amp out of your panel. The battery will die a painful death unless you introduce another charging source.
AnswerID: 297026

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:32

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:32
read this first

then this.....

works for me

Cheers Stefan
AnswerID: 297043

Reply By: obee - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:41

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 20:41
I gave this some thought a few years ago. The tiny fridge I had used 750 watts when the motor was running. Thats a big ask for wiring and inververtor in a car. They do it on boats where they can stow huge batteries and a thousand watt plus inverter sure.

regular fridges suck a lot of energy in short bursts because its easy on mains power and its good to be able to pull the temperature down quickly when you load up with a hot six pack of beer suddenly.

car fridges run low power but over longer runs. It takes time to get the temperature down but it gets there eventually. The reason for doing this is you dont need big fat cables carrying lots of amps to make up for the low voltage.

for question two, a twenty watt supply will provide as much as you want as long as the lights and the dvd dont use more than twenty watts. Power in has to exceed power out or the battery will go flat.

If no one wants to argue with this my case then I am probably right.

Owen
AnswerID: 297044

Sponsored Links