Solar Panels

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 24, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 564 Views:1998 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I thinking about buying a solar panel to keep my battery charged while camping (running a fridge and a light). Trouble is, there seems to be at least 3 different types (not brands) of panels, monocrystaline, polycrystaline and another I think was amorphuos (or something similar). Retailers tend to push the one they sell over all others. Can someone explain the difference between them? I'm a little confused. I also heard that one type will 'loose' up to 50% of the rated output over the first 12 to 18 months and then stabalize. This is no good if true. If I buy a 75 watt panel I want a 75 watt panel not a 40 watt in a years time! I haven't been able to find a web site that offers any real explanation of the different types. Maybe an idea for the ExplorOz team to do an article on them. All info appreciated. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrick - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00
Tony - there has been lots of discussion over the past few months on this site regarding solar panels. Try seaching the forum and your sure to find the information you require. If that does not work try the forum at www.overlander.com.au as they also have some details.

AnswerID: 1499

Follow Up By: Fred Kamphues - Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00
Contact Joris at: annemariejoris2001@yahoo.com
He has been travelling in a Landrover Discovery equipped with solar panels supplied by Shell Solar.

Fred Kamphues
www.millhouse.nl/australia2001.html
FollowupID: 471

Sponsored Links