Pesky Report

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 19:51
ThreadID: 56412 Views:3023 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
In post 55972, True Blue was asking about road conditions on the Oodnadatta Track, and I said I would be there last week on a working/Holiday.
Well were back and so I will give you a report on my trip whether you want it or not!!! LOL
Diesel in Clare 159.9
Friday night 28th march we made our way to Booleroo Centre
( Mid Nth SA ) for the annual steam and traction rally which I am associated with, where we crank up and drive/parade dozens of old tractors, traction engines and a whole heap of other old machinery for a public display day.
Off to Pt A Gutta on Sunday night, bit of shopping monday morning and off to Woomera for our first job.
Diesel in Pt A Gutta 159.9, Pimba 168.9.
For many years Spuds Roadhouse in Pimba has been consistently 29 - 30 cents a litre dearer than Pt A Gutta, and Glendambo around the same. Nice to see that they may have been scared back closer to reality for fuel by the ACCC !
Still too dear in relation to the surrounding towns when they are all filled by the same tankers !
Job done and off to Andamooka for the next job, and when finished back to Roxby to spend the night with one of our sons who works there, and lives in the caravan park.
Diesel in Roxby 161.9
Job done in Roxby next morning and dragged SHMBO outa the shops and off to Coober Pedy.
Diesel in Glendambo 167.9Coober Pedy 164.9
Unable to raise my contact for my job in town, had to spend night in a caravan park, yuk.
Job done next morning and off to Mintabie, haven't been out there before, but its just like most other Opal towns on a smaller scale.
Job done and back to Marla for another job, and to be robbed by another roadhouse who think they can take money from the poor, and the rich just because they are on the highway!
Diesel in Marla 190.0, not bad 25c more than Coober Pedy for a distance of 230 k. Bet the trucky doesn't get the freight money anywhere near that price. I will be emailing the ACCC, considering the price was the highest including the ones to come.
With tyres aired down we set off into the sunset and camped about 100k down the Oodnadatta track, very peaceful.
Next morning off to Oodnadatta for fuel topup and then off to Dalhousie for a swim and another peaceful night in the great Australian bush. Must have run over a bit of wire out Mintabie/Marla way so had to jam a plug into a rear tyre before heading off for the day.
Now we get to track conditions, the Oodna track from Marla was good, gravely patches between the wheel marks, and a few mild corrugations, but easy 70k with safety. Road to Hamilton station not quite as good but in good condition for this track.
A bad slant on this trip section was meeting about 50 of the Variety club 4wd bash vehicles coming down from Mt Dare/Hamilton station, someone needs to take SOME of these clowns aside and teach them how to pass oncoming vehicles, they don't need any lessons on how to give free gravel showers !!!
Now we weren't under any illusion's as to the condition of the Pedirka track as it is unmaintained, but I think some locals must patch it up in a few places. It was slow and rough and an average speed of around 30k an hr was the go.
On speaking to a bloke who came from Mt Dare, he said the track from over there was even worse, so allow 2 hrs from there too if you value your vehicle and tyres.
The swimming is fantastic and well worth the near 400k round trip for a couple of long sessions in the 36 degree pond.
Diesel in Oodnadatta 184.0
Back in Oodna next day and yet another job completed, filled with fuel and off to Algebucknia Bridge for another peaceful bush camp with good sunset and sunrise photo opportunities with the bridge.
This section of the track between Oodna and William Creek was the worst section of the track, but still mostly good with a few mild corrugations and stony patches that have been there for many years. Average speeds of 60 - 70 k safely.
A steak sandwich at the William Creek pub for lunch the next day, (shop there is shut down ) but caravan park still operating.
Diesel in William Creek 179.9
Off to Marree for our next stop, and what a surprise. The best peice of road you will find in the outback, new or near new all the way.
Could easy have taken the Ferrari to William Creek via Marree if I had wanted too!!!
Never stay in Marree anymore, as I think it is the pits, but thats a personel opinion, so off to Clayton bore up the birdsville track for a spa and our last night out, best 60 k you can travel for a great night in the scrub.
As much as I would like to give you a report on all of the Birdsville track, the bottom 60 k is great, I think it has had the same treatment as the Oodna track back a bit.
Back to Marree next day, last job done and filled with fuel, and off home at Blyth by 9 pm.
Diesel in Marree 170.0Hawker 168.0
Did 3200k and averaged just under 6k per litre fully loaded with camper, 140l water 120l fuel, extra spares etc, and spraying equipment and spacecase of work gear, oh and SWMBO of course LOL
Only breakdown was a broken swaybar saddle on the rear axle housing, so the bar spent half the trip on the roof rack .
The country out there is very dry and baron still, but was great to get out in the red dust again, in the million star motel.
Weather was perfect mild days and mild nights, except for a light shower of rain in Coober Pedy, just to speed up the packup process!
Hope this covers True Blue's needs.

Cheers Pesty

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:37

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:37
thanks Pesky, very informative. being nosey, what jobs are you doing to take you to these lovely places?
AnswerID: 297266

Follow Up By: Krakka - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:52

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:52
Hey Shane, Check his member name, PESTY. He upsets a lot of PESTS.
FollowupID: 563281

Follow Up By: Angler - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:03
Brilliant report, Coverers everything, fuel costs are somewhat ridiculous given the short distance between some places, I remember the price at Cape Crawford was well over priced compared to others when I was there last and the only reason was that it was almost a necessity to refuel. Those who knew their truck could work out just how much was required to get to the next stop and save plenty.

Pooley
FollowupID: 563285

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 19:27

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 19:27
Hi Shane,
I have a contract with a Govt agency to do some pest control services which includes these remote locations.
We had completed the rest of the contract so had to do the run and finish these.
Job now completed until next year.

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 563435

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:37

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:37
Hi Steve
Very good report.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297285

Reply By: In Good Time - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:42

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:42
Pesty

Agree with your comments about the variety club clowns.
We meet a string of them on their way to Boulia for the camel races last year. We were on our way back from Birdsville. They did not give a hang about the people coming the other way, not slowing down like decent people do, just showering everyone in rocks. All four vehicles in our group had windscreen from them.

Pete
AnswerID: 297337

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:12

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:12
bit of a worry on that track closer to Hamilton too, with all those crests approaching from Oodnadatta.
FollowupID: 563349

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:16

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:16
Hi Pesky,
As a Member, your Blog is the ideal place to put your trip report. You can split your report up into dates too, makes it kinda nice to read that way. Maybe next time eh?

Thanks,
Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297365

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:27

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:27
Hello the Pestys - great report. Nice to get back in and enjoy the great outdoors eh? Now we're here we're going to do that too.
AnswerID: 297366

Reply By: balko - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:18

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:18
Hey Pesty great report im heading that way in 2 weeks towing a off road van do you know what the track is like from dalhouise up through mt Dare then on to fink is the track around dalhousie soft sand thanks for the info Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 298151

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:12

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:12
Dalhousie to Mt Dare is apparently a shocker, but didnt travel it myself, and track as far as Hamilton stn was good, cant tell you about the rest, sorry.

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 564692

Sponsored Links