Another BIG Cancer thankyou to RV Powerstream.

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:31
ThreadID: 56418 Views:3778 Replies:3 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
RV Powerstream has kindly donated the world's best Dual Battery System for fitting to Michael Mitchell's Jack to support his Cancer Walk. This includes 2 x 220 amp Lifeline AGM batteries.

Thanks to Ian Martin from RV Powerstream.

It is a genuine 4 stage charging system that makes the under bonnet isolators look pre historic.

Overalll, it is not much more expensive than some of the systems from the big operators but is substantially more efficient.

Having diagnosed the system today, I reckon it would take away the need for solar panels and/or generators. It offers one simple, efficient system.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:53

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:53
Jim, Must be a corker of a charger if it can do away with the need for Solar Panels and/or Generators......... Please explain!!
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 297294

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:05

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:05
John,

The unit is very technically sophisticated. It fools the alternator into believing the start battery needs full charge. Hence the alternator puts out its maximum capacity all straight into the aux.

Decent AGM batts, such as Lifeline, will take whatever charge can be thrown at them, so if your alternator can bang out a genuine 70 amps, it doesn't take much of a drive every day or two to have sufficient power (depending on fridge size, ambient temp, aux batt size etc).

I'm frankly sick of carting a solar panel and a generator around. Moving the bloody panel all day long chasing the sun. Firing up the gennie each night and plugging in a 17 amp batt charger and running it for 2 or 3 hours etc.

Reagrds,

Jim,

FollowupID: 563330

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:22

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:22
Jim you say you must have the vehicle engine running for this very technically sophisticated unit to work !!

The problem here is;
When the engine IS running, a Solar panel will NOT charge the Aux battery anyway !!

When the engine is OFF, the very technically sophisticated unit is NOT working - but the Solar panel IS !!
(yes assuming it's day time and who travels at night in the bush)

You MUST be driving for it to charge a battery, if your camping it's just as useless as a $29 solenoid.

As to the charge rating acceptance of AGM's it's not relevant here

Yes Jim, as you say "firing up the gennie each night and plugging in a 17 amp batt charger and running it for 2 or 3 hours." would have to be a real pain, that's another reason why Solar is more efficient and actually prolongs battery life.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 563371

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:49

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:49
Mainey,

You're starting to sound like Ozi.

I'm a long term advocate of Solar, but lately it is beginning to become a chore. If the sun is not out, it doesn't work, and I'm experiencing that too often these days.

Hence I have to take the gennie. It's getting to be too much bloody stuff and too much effort.

The alternative, flog the panel and gennie, invest that dough in one of these units and another Lifeline. Nothing to set up, pack up, carry Jerries of fuel etc.

I generally don't go more than a day without driving for one reason or another when camping, so it suits me. It doesn't have to suit you, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Jim.

FollowupID: 563378

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:08

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:08
Sorry you feel that way Jim.

Now I know why I've settled in West Australia after living in Melbourne for 18 years.
With so many terrific places here to visit and good weather too, because most places are so out of the way, those that go there tend to stay for extended periods, that is where the Solar power systems work best, yes as you say they are next to "useless" when travelling constantly, that's because the Solar panel won't charge the Aux battery, even when in bright sunshine, when driving.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 563383

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:33

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:33
Jim,

I do fear starting a 12v flame war thread, but I have had a discussion with Collyn Rivers about the charge acceptance of AGM batteries and his opinion (somewhat educated, I believe) is that they will accept a greater charge current than a flooded battery, but certainly not the full output of the alternator.

In my case the alternator puts out a theoretical 100amps +. The technical information on my fullriver battery suggests the max charge current to be 24 amps. I would imagine that it may accept higher currents, but at what cost to battery longevity?

Others more knowlegable may disagree?

Cheers,

Mark

AnswerID: 297332

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:24

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:24
Mark,

Firstly let me say if I live as long Methuselah I will be lucky to know half of what Collyn does. Pity he got run off this site by "know all, know nothings" who continually sniped at him.

My understanding is what you have said about Fullriver AGM's is 100% correct. Also applies to other gogod quality budget AGM's like REMCO.

However, Lifeline AGM's are vastly superior (and priced accordingly) and are designed to take a bulk charge. My understanding and reading only. If Collyn were to contradict this, I would dip my lid.

Regards,

Jim.

FollowupID: 563352

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:45

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:45
If the AGM's could accept full current from the alternator.....how long could the alternator run at full output ???
FollowupID: 563360

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:23

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:23
Jim - Very interesting, and hats off to RV Powerstream. But you haven't told us what the charge controller is. Please elaborate.

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 297351

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:29

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:29
Good point.

Sterling BBC 121250.

WWW.sterling-powere.com

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 563374

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:51

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:51
Thanks Jim. Nice kit, but obviously switchmode technology - I wonder about rf interference.

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 563380

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:21

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:21
Can't answer that for you John. I don't understand the technicalities, I'm just fitting the thing to Michael's car as it is a straightforward job, even for a simple man like me.

For more information, contact Ian Martin:

sales at onsitepower dot com dot au

Regards,

Jim.

FollowupID: 563384

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:51

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:51
Hiya Jimbo,
If you still have your Member profile active, this would be a good opportunity to use it as then you can setup a Blog - which is a better place than the Forum for this sort of message as then we don't care who you want to promote and you can go as OT as you like. It would also be easier and more interesting for people to read this way. I expect you ahve more news you'd want to be adding so the Blog is where we'd prefer you put it please for next time.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 563390

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 20:50

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 20:50
Michelle,

I think my member thing has expired.

Can I still do a Blog with my customer logon?

Happy to do this the best way, to give the cause the best exposure. This thread, and donation by RV Powerstream came directly from reading about on a thread on this forum.

Regards,

Jim.

FollowupID: 563447

Sponsored Links