Nissan pays up $$$

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 22:58
ThreadID: 56454 Views:2958 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After having to replace my dual mass flywheel (see post 54558) at a cost of ~$2,600 at only 105,000 kms I was mighty peeved. And when Nissan didn't want to know about it, I was even more peeved.

So I fired off a fax to the 'toothless tiger" WA Dept Fair Trading and guess what, suddenly Nissan wanted to see my bits!

And when the Nissan rep saw my clutch (its replaced as part of the flywheel) he said "there's nothing wrong with that clutch"...and I replied "exactly". He then said they had a few issues with the dual mass flywheel and "would see what they can do..."

And tonight I came home to a cheque for $1,000 from Nissan - no letter, no explanation, nothing... just a cheque. I don't know whether to congratulate Nissan for making a decent contribution or call it for what it is... another customer treated with disdain followed by an attempt at appeasement, but even that was handled poorly.

And to top it off, I ordered a new 4x4 this week and I had made sure I didn't even look at a Nissan. I ended up with a Mazda CX7 for SWMBO but who knows, a new Nissan could have been parked in my driveway if they had a decent PR department that could do its job!!!

Cheers

Captain
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 23:04

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 23:04
there must surely be a single mass flywheel avbl?...silverback
AnswerID: 297484

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:56

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:56
Do it yourself, better than waiting for Nissan to do it.

Try this site,,

May not help you much, but it will save you some $$$$

http://stores.ebay.com.au/ROODOGS-4WD-SPARES

Exedy make a clutch setup, for all 4B's, but not sure of site

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 563502

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:52

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:52
Do it yourself, better than waiting for Nissan to do it.

Try this site,,

May not help you much, but it will save you some $$$$

http://stores.ebay.com.au/ROODOGS-4WD-SPARES

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 297515

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:55

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:55
I think that's good news but it's all too similar to my situation where they made me a $500 good will offer. If you had of followed it further so you got a hearing with Fair Trading do you think you would of recouped all your costs maybe? I would say Nissan send people cheques so you don't take it further.

Leroy
AnswerID: 297539

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 23:33

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 23:33
Hi Leroy,

I think I was lucky to get the $1K. The guy from Fair Trading initially said I would have next to no hope given I was out of warranty by 1.1/2 years and 5,000kms. Also given it wasn't done by a Nissan dealer (who trusts them?), it was another nail for an ex-gratia payment. So Fair Trading were very suprised I got that much at all.

Cheers

Captain

FollowupID: 563753

Reply By: Dunaruna - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:18

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:18
The Exedy safari (single mass flywheel included) is an excellent replacement for the POS nissan dual mass.

And no, I don't sell them or own the company.
AnswerID: 297542

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:08

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:08
Hows it going Captain,

A few years ago I had 5th gear let go on my Patrol just north of Perth.

My vehicle was only 6 months out of warranty, The dealership I went to in North Scarborough extracted every last cent out of me they could and pretended to contact Nissan Australia and said they couldnt help.

When I got back home I fired off a carefully worded letter to Nissan Australia, out of the blue I get a phone call ,apology and a cheque for 90% of the cost.

Just wondering what dealer you went to.

Glenn.
AnswerID: 297576

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 23:39

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 23:39
Hi Glenn,

You are a walking advertisement why I do not trust a dealer (stealer!).

I use Robson Brothers 4WD for all my servicing now my Nissan is out of warranty and should have used them from the beginning. They are a very reputable mob in Perth who I recommend, also a site sponsor and give trade rates to ExplorOz members.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 563755

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:54

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:54
Captain,

Unfortunately when it happened I had only used the EO site for trip planning / info. I didnt know where else to go, the only reason I went to a dealer is that if there was a problem ,Nissan is nation wide.

If something similar happened now ,a post on the forum would steer me in the right direction.

Glenn.
FollowupID: 564004

Reply By: Member - Glenn G (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:44

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:44
I had the Dual Mass bit of junk replaced with the Exedy clutch and solid flywheel in my GU last week.happy with the outcome and not any noisier in the cab as I was told it may be .$1800 fitted.

Cheers
Giffo
AnswerID: 297616

Reply By: TheMajor - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:34

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:34
G'day Captain
Sorry to hear you are going to get rid of the Nissan but I know exactly the way you feel. The only problem I have had with my ZD30 Series 3, is with the dealers. I have changed dealers twice and still not satisfactory. On one occasion I rang up Val Davies from the Melbourne office complaining about overcharging and shonky workmanship with warranty claims and, with fairness to her, she did intervene and when I went back to the dealer for a refund I was supplied with parts instead of cash.

My Nissan is now finished the 5 year extended warranty and I am on the lookout for a new vehicle. Do you know of any problems with the new common rail diesel? I just can't work out what the difference is with the engine block on the new common rail diesel and the one I have now. The problem that caused the 3litre to go bang is still in the back of my mind even though I had no real problems with mine and I have towed my 17ft caravan all over the place and an off-road trailer where the caravan wouldn't go. The problem was it was always at the back of my mind if I would make it back home again because of all the incidents you hear about them blowing up. I still like the shape and space of the Nissan compared to the rest and in particular the cost of a new cruiser can't be justified. So I am hoping for a bit of feedback on the common rail Nissan to see what others have experienced and if I do get one, I certainly won't be taking it to a Nissan dealer for major servicing.
Other than that I am looking at Prado or Pajero.
Anyway mate, hope you are happy with the new car, whatever one you get and thanks for your advice before I went on my Simpson Desert trip last year.
Kind Regards
The Major
AnswerID: 297842

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:38

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:38
Hi Major,

I have been very happy with my Nissan, but not with Nissan Australia support. My dealer was OK, nothing special but they certainly didn't go out of their way for me. And Nissan Australia is just woeful IMHO and that certainly seems to be the consensus on this forum.

From what I have read about the common rail, it is essentially the same block but different (improved) injection and EGR plumbing (willing to be corrected if wrong). Also, the ZD30 bottom end is actually very strong and the main thing that let it down was the electronics (MAF, EGR etc...). This is supposedly rectfied now (they have had 8 years now to get it right!) and hence the reliability that now seems to be achieved.

While the there are the odd reports of ZD30 series III+ problems, the reality is there are just as many problems with other makes for the number of vehicles on the road, regardless of what the knockers say. But I know what you mean about the thoughts at the back of your mind, but thats what happens once an engine gets a reputation - the perception is actually greater than the reality.

My novated lease is up in a few months hence my looking around. I have narrowed my search down to 3 vehicles, the D4D Prado, another 3.0TD GU and the Hummer. I would buy the Hummer in an instant if it had a diesel, but it doesn't until 2009 and thats too late for me (lease wise). I have discounted the Pajero for various reasons (mainly 4WD ability - great on-road) so that leaves the Prado or another Patrol.

The 200 cruiser is just too many $$$ for what it is and what I want to do with it - great for towing a large van around AUS, but not a real offroader anymore, its targeted at a different market - if only the 76 series 4 door had ABS & airbags, I would get one!

My main reason against the Patrol is Nissan Australia's customer attitude, the 4 sp auto and because the new V6 3.0 diesel is out early 2009 (550 Nm torque!!!). But it is still a real possibility as transferring all my gear across would be easy (and I like the real off-road ability, last large live axle vehicle around).

So that leaves me with the Prado. On a technical apprasial it is by far the best (great engine, 5sp auto, 180L tanks, dual zone air, best resale bar none, etc...) but there are just SO many of them around that are used as shopping trolleys plus it simply doesn't have any "wow" factor at all for me. Bit like getting a new washing machine, does a great job but who cares!!!

And that is the real reason i still have my GU - there isn't anything that I would rather have and what I will likely buy just doesn't inspire me (hard to spend $60K and not have a burning desire for it) so I keep thinking, thinking, thinking what I will do (tough decisons, but someone has to do it!).

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 563932

Sponsored Links