Magellan Problems!!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:55
ThreadID: 56461 Views:1856 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,

I'm having all kinds of issues loading new maps onto my Magellan Colour using Discover Aus - for some reason the GPS unit wont load up the maps after the laptop process has finished - instead the unit just beeps and turns itself off... slightly frustrating..

This raises 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know of a good website that sells the DiscoverAus Topo software online - the preloaded SD card?

2. Does anyone know of a reputable GPS shop in SA that can assist me with this problem and maybe upload some maps for me or get my unit working?

I loaded maps onto my unit approx 12 months ago without a problem so have no idea what the issue is this time...

Hope you can help - cheers..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:36

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:36
You could try the supplier from whom you purchased the unit.

Failing that, from memory there used to be a map shop on Unley Rd Unley. I called in there once and found them to be exceedingly helpful. Link
I. H .N. L. W. T. B.
AnswerID: 297555

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:31

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:31
I had a similar problem with my Explorist . The plug on the back looks like it goes into a keyway , but that actually made it upside down . Worth a look , cause it only works one way .
Willie .
AnswerID: 297579

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:45

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 14:45
Hello - try
GPSOZ

for DAST Topo

Cant help with second question. I always found it easier to save the map to the hard drive and then copy to SD card using a card reader when I had a Meridian. Your problem could have many causes (GPS, SD card, Software or PC related) so difficult to provide potential solution.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 297583

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:15

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:15
Are you using Vista ?????

Turn off Security process's on Laptop ! Anti-Virus,Anti-Spyware etc etc

If you need more help email me at warfer69 at gmail dot com

Cheers

AnswerID: 297701

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:07

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:07
This maybe sound silly but if you have a memory like mine........well :-))
Are you sure you are going through "conversion manager" and not just from the "discover aus" direct to the GPS ?

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 297722

Follow Up By: Hilux03 - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:55

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:55
Mate i outline the area i want to upload - go to cut region - then select and mark it - then go to upload to GPS.

It will upload the first region but as soon as i try to upload any further regions it fails.

Not sure what the go is.
FollowupID: 563953

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:25

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:25
Hello - "conversion manager" came out with eXplorists - so it is irrelevant in this case (Meridian Colour). Also it doesnt actually convert maps (a common misconception) - just waypoints and tracks. The program just provides an easy way to transfer maps from PC to eXplorist - the actual "conversion" to create an explorist format map (*.imi) is done during the map creation process in DAST.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564026

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:39

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:39
"It will upload the first region but as soon as I try to upload any further regions it fails."

As mention before - just save the maps to the hard drive and then copy to the SD card using a card reader. If this doesnt work I would be surprised.

If for some reason you dont wish to do this you may like to ring Next Destination for some advice.

It would also be handy to know what PC operating system you are using (windows 98, XP or Vista?) and if you are using USB (via converter) or standard serial connection.

Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 297963

Sponsored Links