Cape York - Creek Crossings

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 20:05
ThreadID: 56486 Views:3772 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I just have to ask this dumb question.
I am experienced in 4wdriving especially in the NT. Surprisingly there are not a lot of river crossing that need to be walked in the NT before crossing them, maybe because I know the tracks.
My family and I are going to Cape York in July and with regard to the many crossings on the Telegraph Track all advice says to walk them first.
The obvious concern to me is the threat of man eating lizards. Are these an issue in the creek crossings or is there some reason they are not around?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 20:33

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 20:33
It won't be an issue on any of the "busy" crossings on the main tracks etc. However, where you need to be more careful is if you find yourself in an area where nobody usually goes.

All bar one of the crossings we did were done without walking. The only one we walked (well it was actually Annette and Barb who actually did the walk) was the section at the southern end of the top half of the OTT....just south of Edith Falls/Twin Falls.....

The crossing at Dulhunty River was a great spot to spend a night and the rocky section just downstream of the road crossing was perfect for a prolonged loll in the rock pools.

Roachie
AnswerID: 297667

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:11

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:11
Actually I would disagree here I still walk all the crossings because no one can say what happened in the wet season the big holes do move.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 563810

Follow Up By: Off-track - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:26

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 12:26
Same. Some of the crossings with rocky beds have some pretty big/deep hole in them.
FollowupID: 563812

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:03

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:03
The OTL basically crosses in the upper reaches of most of the rivers & creeks well above the range of salt water crocs. The water is often crystal clear and not very deep. You'll find people swimming in the vast majority of them.
If river levels are not abnormally high for the winter touring season there would only be 4 or 5 that should be walked and are fairly obvious when you get there. Creeks with a solid rocky bottom often have large holes washed out that one can easily drop a wheel in. More often than not there are so many people using the track you will need to wait for others to cross 1st so simply follow their line.
Greater caution should be taken around the larger rivers like the Jardine & Wenlock as well as any coastal routes.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 297674

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 16:20

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 16:20
Hey Crackles.. it seems it may have been a little while since you last did the trip me thinks?? there has been a bridge across the Wenlock for quiet a while now.. and they have even barracaded the approaches so you couldn't even drive it if you wanted to. Regarding the Jardine.. it is not unheard of to get there and find the approaches have actually been dredged. Good luck to anyone who tries to save $100 and drive across the Jardine
FollowupID: 563841

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:32

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:32
You may have misread my reply Coyote. "caution should be taken AROUND the larger rivers". Well aware of the bridge & ferry but one doesn't need to be walking a river crossing to be croc bait ;-)
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 563893

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:43

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:43
Fair 'nuff Craig, your right, I did miss read your post.. in fact the creek crossing are probably safer then the big rivers witht he bridges you mention as they don't have regular cars travelling though them thus providing somewhat of a deterant to the snapping hand bags
FollowupID: 563995

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:57

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:57
Before we headed up the OTL Track, were camped in Weipa next to a guy waiting for parts for major repairs to his diesel. He did not have a snorkel, had started up the Track, waded the first two creeks; the third "looked ok" so he didn't wade. Drowned the diesel. Costly lesson. We found most of the creeks, even if tricky, narrow and often fast flowing - too far upstream for crocs. However, the Jardine is an exception to that generalization - get the ferry!!
AnswerID: 297682

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 22:00

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 22:00
Should also have mentioned that the latest edition of Moon's Guide to Cape York is due out in next couple of weeks - that is a pretty accurate guide to the best way to cross each of the creeks.
AnswerID: 297683

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 22:18

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 22:18
If you are worried about your fan hitting the radiator.

try this.

Radiator Fix

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 297684

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:19

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:19
Steve,
Thanks for the link.
Looks like a good solution.
FollowupID: 563758

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:27

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:27
Steve
Good morning to and Crew

Hey your in the wrong business , you should be manufacturing them to sell , would make a killin'

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 563774

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 13:07
Richo,

That would have to be the most asked question that we have when doing driver training.

We will not ask or except people to walk a creek or river if there is any doubt of crocs. We do however ask them to walk the creek or river before crossing. As you can see they will get as far as the first creek and that is where they will be until they can see what the crossing is like.
A vehicle coming from the other side might be alright but trouble is the person on the other side might be waiting for you to cross while you are waiting for them.

The sure way to get another vehicle to cross a creek or river that you don't wish to walk first.

When you approach the bank of the creek, stop and turn the vehicle around.
Reverse the vehicle back until the tyres are wet.
Drive forward and park on the side of the track.
Wait until another vehicle approaches the creek and you give them the thumbs up.
They see your wet wheel tracks leaving the creek and assume that it is OK to cross.
You watch very carefully which way they went. :-))

Honestly you should not drive a creek or river that you don't know what the crossing is like, and walking a creek is not advisable if crocs my be around.
Wait till some one else comes along. They might have crossed the creek earlier that day or might be a local that knows the crossing.

Enjoy your trip but keep a look out for crocs and a lot of vehicle parked on the side of the track with only there back wheels wet.

Wayne
AnswerID: 297757

Reply By: Off-track - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 14:02

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 14:02
Most of the creeks are pretty small and probably unlikely to harbour a man-eating size croc. The water is also crystal clear (unless previously churned up) so have a good look around for snapping logs before walking in.
AnswerID: 297769

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:06

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:06
Richo (SA)
Sure fire method!!!! as told to me by a wank@r

When you come to a creek or river you are not to sure about, reverse your car till the back wheels are in the water.
When a car comes from the other side you drive out of the water just as they can see you leave the water.
They think you have just crossed and dive straight in.
Watch them go through and if they make it across, turn around and retrace their track, Bingo no wet feet and no lizards to worry about.
Colin
AnswerID: 297784

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:13

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 15:13
Richo (SA)
Jokes aside mate, sent the wife across with a big stick (to check the depth) if she makes it then it's safe for you and your truck. LOL

The creeks on the OLT track are so busy that no crock would be seen there, most crossings are in very clear areas of water and don't present a problem, but still keep a look out anyway.

Joking about the wife, I tried it and she tripped and sank with my NEW camera at Nolans Brook, never again will I trust her with my camera!!!
Colin.
FollowupID: 563829

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:05

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:05
Jokes aside, its probably cheaper to replace the wife and camera than a fully setup rig though. LOL... and you can always get a waterproof camera....
FollowupID: 563986

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 20:35

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 20:35
I travel mostly on my own and crossing rivers is something that I take a great deal of care about.

I am also conscious of crocs.

My solution is this water depth checker thingy

I attach the sender to my fishing rod, cast it into the river and slowly reel it back in watching the depth on the receiver as i do so.

Havent drowned my vehicle (yet) havent been eaten by croc (yet)
AnswerID: 297862

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:19

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:19
Are you having a lend of us or do you really do this.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 563979

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:07

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:07
Its true Eric. I saw it on a 4WD Monthly DVD once.....:))
FollowupID: 563987

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:11

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:11
No I am not and yes I do
FollowupID: 564070

Sponsored Links