Fuel in Jerry cans

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 565 Views:1819 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what the law is in regard to carrying unleaded petrol in jerry cans? I go off-road 4WDriving (no trailer), so I'm not sure how cans I can carry? The next question is, where can I carry them, on the roof rack, or in the car?
Also, I believe there is a difference, if it is petrol or diesel, I'm interested in the law with petrol, and whether it varies from State to State? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Keith - Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 01, 2001 at 01:00
John, I don't know the legal situation, but a very well respected and experienced 4x4 tour operator that I have travelled with will not allow fuel to be carried inside the truck for safety reasons. It must be stowed on the roof or in the tray if you have a ute.
AnswerID: 1517

Reply By: Grant - Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00
In WA we aren't allowed to carry LPG cylinders IN the vehicle because they can release gas if they get hot, thereby gassing the occupants. The same would apply to ULP and LRP in jerrycans, they can release built-up gas/vapour, especially dangerous if you are a smoker! :0 There is also the added danger of explosion/fire in the event of an accident. Who wants to be covered in a combustible fluid (desiel included) when your electrical system is shorting out after a rollover, or the grass next to your vehicle is alight. Use the roof rack or devise some sort of set-up for your tailgate to carry the jerry's. The tailgate set-up is the safest because any extra weight up high may make your 4WD more unstable in rough conditions. Or get a long range tank fitted. Happy 4wheeling.
AnswerID: 1522

Sponsored Links