Qld Gulf track in May, is it possible on a Motorbike

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:17
ThreadID: 56527 Views:2884 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Due to limited time and work commitments i am considering riding from cairnd to darwin in early/mid may on a ktm 990s motorbike along the gulf track.
Along with a few "other " issues fuel will be a problem, i hear hells gate is shut down , does wollogarang have any fuel.
Snapping lizards are a bit nasty at times, my main concern are river crossings, anybody got any info on that.
Also what level of traffic would there be heading north.

My main goal is to avoid the long boring drive north on the black top that i have done a few times.
Know what you thinking ...wait
but only i can stop an adventurer having an adventure on his adventure.
Cheers for any info
Motogaz, DarwinImage Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:54

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:54
Gulf track is fine on a bike if it is not raining.....On average you will find semi corrugated dirt roads with the odd wet creek crossing...
If raining or if has rained,,,, roads are clay in places with a really crappy spot being between Chilligoe and Dunbar..
Thick, black clay and you will wish you were home in bed...
May is a good time to still hit some wet weather,,,, i would say at least 50/50...
AnswerID: 297917

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:32

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:32
Hi Motogaz,
Over the years I have found it next to useless asking 4wders about track information when I am on 2 wheels, for instance river crossings that are "only up to the bottom of the bullbar mate" from a bloke in a 5" lifted GQ or "only a couple of small dust holes" from an elderly bloke who does about 20kph all the way along Battlecamp rd. ( Between Hopevale and Laura )
You will get much better 2 wheel related feedback if you post the same question on 'ADV Rider' forum found here .

Alll the best and wish I was going with you.
Pezza

AnswerID: 297945

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 14:22

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 14:22
Hi Mate,

Wollogorang closed a couple years ago and Hells gate followed last year I think. Wollo used to let you drive down their 80 k track to the gulf and camp on the beach - a great spot. Its now closed completely to the public. That would make it a long run on a bike between fuel stops wouldn't it.

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 297977

Reply By: Member - Gary N (NT) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:39

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:39
Thanks guys , the advrider is a good one and plenty of info cheers pezzo, looks like i getting a 40l tank which will give me a 600 K range so thats a start , bit more weight but and dropping the bike in a river crossing would be .... and not fun,
cheers
AnswerID: 298059

Sponsored Links