Friser Island

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 15:12
ThreadID: 56539 Views:3287 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Heading for Fraser Island in August, we will be starting from Hook Point. We will be camping in a tent, just the wife and myself.We would like to spend four nights,can anyone suggest an itinerary. We would like to stay two nights in each camp and day trip.Not hard to work out myself but there may be someone who knows the Island well and can give us a few tips.
Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:23

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:23
Have you had a look at This site? (Thanks DIO!)

If you wanted to camp at two different sites (you don't really need to, PROVIDED THAT you pay attention to the tide times) you could try Central Station and Waddy Point.

From Central Station you could do the tracks past the southern lakes, Kingfisher Bay and Eurong. From Waddy Point you could check out Ely Creek (on the way through), Champaign Pools, Orchard Beach and Wathumba Creek, etc. The beach to Sandy Cape may also be open by August.

Don't forget the walk in to Lake Wabby.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298004

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 17:48
I would agree with what George recommended.
But if you only end up wanting to camp in one spot
Waddy point top camp ground is good nice and leafy good shower block.protected from the wind, and you can still
do all the day trips from there. Have a look in Places / Waddy point / camp, ground i think i had loaded photos.
If your on the Inskip barge [mantaray]early and the tide is right
you can be at Waddy point in about 2 hours, 100klm
from memory and set up camp before lunch.
That where i will be in 2 weeks.
Rob.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298009

Reply By: chisel - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 21:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 21:48
If you have much of a camp setup then relocating can be a drag and might eat into touring time ... or worse still fishing time!
I'd probably suggest you camp near Eli Creek or a bit further north - maybe around Dundabara. Do the southern lakes and central station one day. Perhaps Champagne pools on the way to Sandy Cape on another day. Depends what you most want to see ... most of the lakes are down the southern end so if you want to spend 2 or more days touring that area then definitely camp down that way.
AnswerID: 298050

Reply By: timothy - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:19

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:19
I found when I stayed 6 nights at central station, because it is in the rainforest with very little sunlight everything got damp. Sleeping bags, pillows, clothes were all damp and there was no sun to dry it. I took them in the car with me on day trips so they were dry by evening. Dundubara is a sunnier camp ground, but the backpackers come in groups to use the showers in the morning and evening then bugger off and you need to watch the tides when you're coming and going as the main access is from the beach.
AnswerID: 298082

Sponsored Links