Cast iron cooking or normal pots? - which would be best

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:43
ThreadID: 56578 Views:4111 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
My husband and I are new owners of a camper trailer which is a new stage in our camping as we have always just used ground tents before. So, I am getting things organised now to go camping very soon. Re kitchen utensils...I love using cast iron cooking but find that most areas that we would camp in have fire bans most of the year anyway so that would leave me putting cast iron on top of a gas burner which seems to defeat the purpose!
So I am wondering, for those of you that swear by cast iron, in what situation are you able to use them over an open fire? Maybe I would be better to go for a normal lighter weight cooking set?
An thought welcome.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:52

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:52
1 cast iron pot is all we carry for roasts and stews, I agree open fire cooking cant be beat. We have be using a COBB cooker for the last few months and is a brilliant substitue when open fires are not allowed. As for the rest we just use normal light weight cooking stuff for the gas cooker.

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 298221

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:19

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:19
We also have a COBB and have found that a 4qt camp oven fits perfectly inside we have also got the bra from COBB and put this on and have found that we get fantastic camp oven meals.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 564318

Follow Up By: imopa - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:40

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:40
I have had a look at the COBB on the net - looks interesting. Can you dismantle the parts to transport it easily i.e. nice and flat?
Also, do you have to use heat beads on it or can you use wood?
Thanks
FollowupID: 564477

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:33

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:33
Unfortunately the cobb doesn't fold flat, its basically transported as is in its carry bag. You normally use heat beads, haven't tried wood, but the original was designed to use four corn cobs - hence the name COB. Heat beads are easier to store I just store the heat bead bag in the lid when the COB is packed away,

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 564684

Reply By: Member - len W SWANSEA (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:55

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:55
hi there imopa i don't use cast iron any more only because of the weight i have now a spun metal pot and as for fires to use it on i have an old electric fry pan and i use heat blocks in it to do out cooking if there is no fire that is works great for our needs ............. len
AnswerID: 298222

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:22

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:22
How long does it take for the beads to ash over in the frying pan? What temp setting etc? Sounds interesting - tell me more.
FollowupID: 564319

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:43

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:43
Louie,

In my experience, about 20 mins for the heatbeads to ash over reasonably well.

A good rule of thumb is to use 2 more beads on the top and 2 less on the bottom.
For a 12 inch diameter oven that equates to 10 beads on the bottom and 14 beads on the top.

I use a cheap "cake rack" as a trivet. Place the rack in the frypan (or on the ground) and place all heatbeads in a mound around a firestarter or two, on top of the rack.
After about 20 mins, 14 beads are placed on the lid of the camp oven and the remaining 10 arranged evenly around the rack and the oven placed on top. The rack ensures air can circulate underneath and stop any chance of smothering the heatbeads underneath.

I use a lightweight cast iron frypan to contain the rack and oven. I have used this on the ground by placing the whole assembly on two or three rocks to lift the frypan base and there is no damage caused to the grass underneath.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 564321

Follow Up By: imopa - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:49

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:49
Hi Sandman
Great idea...tell me, does it matter what material the frypan is made from? - will any one do?
Also, I need to cook for a family, do you think an electric frypan would be big enough with a pan inside it with a lid? Also, I presume after you have ashes, you put a pot inside and then the lid of the electric frypan over it all? Thanks
FollowupID: 564479

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:54

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:54
imopa,

Any fry pan will do as it is only used as a base to contain the heat from the beads and the resultant ashes.

An old electric fry pan is an excellent solution as it has built-in legs to keep it off the ground, or whatever else you place it on and being made from aluminium or stainless steel, will not rust. The beauty of this solution is you don't need to elevate it with rocks to maintain an air gap underneath due to the built-in legs.

I didn't have the "luxury" of an old fry pan so I bought a cheap cast iron fry pan with no extended handle to get in the way. It has a couple of grab handles around the edge to lift it when cold.
I bought the fry pan from a camping store and even though it is cast iron, it is light weight. To stop rusting, a light coating of cooking oil will maintain it in good condition, the same process used for cast iron, or spun steel camp ovens.

I also use this fry pan for it's more "common" function as well.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 564518

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:34

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:34
I use a reasonably good (but cheap) set of stainless saucepans in the trailer. As long as they have metal handles they can be used on an open fire with no problems and common sense. I also carry a couple of smaller cast iron pots as they are fantastic for the fire and are no real hindrance on the gas. There's nothing like them for the "one pot wonders" The Cobb is a fantastic option if you have the room. I've not used mine as a stove or base for the cast iron as yet but it's a great oven for bread and roasts, BBQ and with all the dishes, can be used for just about every cooking application. I had some covers made for mine to improve it's thermal qualities (photo on my rig page).

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 298225

Follow Up By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:14

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:14
you can get a stone plate for your cob and cook the best home made pizza youv'e ever had in ya life!

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 564337

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:44

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:44
Hi Louie,

Getting good info here but check these sites out as well for ideas....

Camp oven cooking

And this one

The chat board

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 298247

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:35

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:35
I love the old cast iron camp oven, but I've also got the usual pots, pans etc.

I got hold of an old Davey Water Pressure Tank and cut the top section off, drilled a few holes in the bottom welded 3 nuts on the base that I screw 3 bolts into for legs then use heat beads for camp oven cooking when I can't have a fire works beautifully.

When I can have a fire I don't actually use mine over the fire I dig a pit and when I have a nice lot of coals I basically bury mine in the coals; roasts, bread, scones come up great.
AnswerID: 298277

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:08

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:08
I have cut a 9kg gasbottle in half and use that as a firepot for my. Never had a problem having a small open fire in the bottle and great for cooking. We carry our own firewood too.
Not sure when there is a fireban the bottle can get you into trouble but had rangers come past and never said a thing.
Camping without a fire is not camping I believe.
cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 298284

Follow Up By: imopa - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:53
I think I might phone a ranger and ask if the fire is contained in something like the above two posts mention, then is it OK to light one? I am not quite sure of the rules.
Thanks for all the replies - I'll keep checking for followups to the follow ups!
FollowupID: 564480

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:07

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:07
Reiner, in areas where you have low humidity and high fire danger, you may be cremated if you did that. If you weren't you may wish you were after the locals got to you. It is irresponsible to say to do it

In short imopa - don't light them in Victoria, NSW, SA and WA on fire danger days and Total Fire Ban days.
FollowupID: 564492

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 03:41

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 03:41
We use this
http://www.culinarycookware.info/

Surgeon steel, does not stick, unbreakable, lifelong waranty, perfect on gas, electro, in the fire but not cheap and not available in Australia as far as I know. Occasionally you find them on GraysOnline or Ebay, but I have not checked the shops here since we have our set since 30 years.

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 298387

Sponsored Links