Yarakai River - Cape York

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 20:43
ThreadID: 5658 Views:5112 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
About 6 weeks ago, I asked if anyone knew where the Yarakai River in Cape York was situated. Tony from Weipa replied that he had not heard of it. Tony (if you are reading this), I just thought you might like to know that I have since found out where it is. It is the Olive River below Cape Grenville and named by the Aboriginals as the "Yarraki River". I managed to obtain a copy of "A River Somewhere" which featured it and this is how I found out where it was. Have you ever fished here? Looks fabulous.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:35

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:35
Yes Patsy I have since found out as well, I was talking to an old ringer in Mt Molly a couple weeks ago, and he told me that when working for an exploration company flew over tha area as the filming was taking place and saw a couple of huge croc's in the same river, so I would be thinking twice about wading into the water fishing.

The croc's are getting bad enough in Weipa without going looking for them.
AnswerID: 23541

Follow Up By: Patsy - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:12

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:12
Good to hear from you again Tony. About the crocs, I was thinking the same thing as you after watching the program, but the two characters in the film did in fact wade into the water (hip to waist deep) up the river slightly to cast their rods. There is no way I would be doing that.
FollowupID: 15768

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:06

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:06
Hi Patsy,

What is "A River Somewhere"? Sounds interesting.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 23565

Follow Up By: Patsy - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:28

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:28
Hi Melissa
Nick G is correct in his response and yes, it is out on video through the ABC shops. It comes in 2 sets of about 5 videos in each and features different rivers around the world in each episode. The sets retail for about $50.00 but I have heard from all who have watched most episodes of how good they all were. The episode on the Yarraki came in 2 parts and was quite funny also in a dry sort of way (I have been told there is a similar humour in all the episodes). It featured two guys sailing up the coastline (making different stops along the way) until they reach the Yarraki. Once they get there, they hop in their tin dish and cruise up the river to do some fishing. After a few minutes, they put down their rods and continue cruising up the winding river simply because they were fascinated by it. Mostly the program contained a bit about a lot of different things like the journey getting there, a bit of James Cook history, what to see and do along the way (like rolling down sand dunes), fishing, cooking, the different types of fruit available (most of which was unrecognisable to the two characters). You see some great scenery in the program.
FollowupID: 15769

Reply By: Nick G - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:35
Melissa A river somewere was a fishing series on ABC TV about 6 months to a yr ago. It was done by the guys on The panel on chanel 10. It was a great series. They must have releasted it on video. Nick G.
AnswerID: 23584

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:12

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:12
Thanks Patsy & Nick,

I don't watch much TV so I missed that series. I'll have to get down to the ABC shop unless someone has a copy of the Yarakai River episode they can lend me???

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 23639

Follow Up By: Patsy - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 17:33

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 17:33
Hi Melissa
Re: Yarraki River - "A River Somewhere"
If you would like to send me your address (mundy2@ozemail.com.au) then I will endeavour to find someone to dub off a copy of the copy which I have borrowed and forward to you.
Cheers
Patsy
FollowupID: 16369

Sponsored Links