towing a caravan 14foot pop top

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:28
ThreadID: 56580 Views:2456 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are doing a trip to Currawinya NP,HungerfordThargomindah,Innamincka,Cameron corner,Wanaaring,Bourke, Lighting Ridge and back to Brisbane.As we are leaving on the 20th May we are just after info if we can take the van all the way or leave it and collect it on the way back (eg Hungerford).Yes we do all the phone call's as it gets closer but would like to be prepared.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:52

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:52
Hi Captaim.
I did the same trip last July towing an off road camper trailer.
We passed numerous vans between Eulo/Hungerford & Wanaaring/Tibooburra.
Currawinya NP is a great spot to camp & explore & we camped near the old shearing shed not far from the Rangers station.
The roads were quite good them however I don't know how they recovered from all the flooding.
Our first night was spent at Nindigully. A great spot with an old pub nearby.
The Hungerford pub has great counter meals.
Enjoy your trip. It is a great part of aust.
Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 298237

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:16
I did the trip from Eulo, Hungerford, Wanaaring then on to Wilcannia towing a Jayco Penguin Off Road last September. Really a typical outback road bad sections of corrugation with some good sections.

If you're not towing an offroad van or one that doesn't have what is commonly known now as dirt road suspension just drive to the conditions and take your time otherwise you might do some damage.

Currawinya waterhole is a nice spot for a few days camping Lake Wyara and Lake Numalla should be full of water with the floods they had down that way earlier this year and would be worth a visit, both were dry when I was there.

I'm heading back out that way around August.
AnswerID: 298275

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:34

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:34
Yes you can do all these roads with your van provided you drive to the road conditions and lower tyre pressures on all wheels to help absorb corrugation shock, And do drive steadily.
We have done this trip a couple of times with the rig Pictured below.

To Quote the above
Currawinya waterhole is a nice spot for a few days camping Lake Wyara and Lake Numalla should be full of water with the floods they had down that way earlier this year and would be worth a visit, both were dry when I was there.

I recommend this camping spot and leave your van for the day trip to the lakes, which should both have water in them now.
Our van was safe both times we camped there.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298297

Follow Up By: Member -Captain Chaos (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:54

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:54
Thank you both for this info I am so looking forward to getting out west and by your photos you both enjoy the west.
FollowupID: 564410

Sponsored Links