mageelan crossover GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:53
ThreadID: 56593 Views:2173 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,asked a question about the Aldi GPS,thanks everybody who replied.But got another one,has anybody got any experiences with the magellan crossover??Are they any good? etc,etc Can't make up my mind,should I spend the extra money on the Magellan? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:10

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:10
I have one. It has VicMap loaded which is very ordinary around town along with Navteq which I understand is the op system and realy dumb , but the further away from the city into the bush the better it gets. I understand there is an updated version of the map which may/shud make it better. Its options - fastest/shortest/most or least use of freeways (Navteq I assume) does not seem to work- just whatever it decides-frustratingly dumb at times...updateable versions may/I hope make it much better....silverback
AnswerID: 298285

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:33

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:33
Geez I wish I had asked before recommending one of these to a work colleague. Your review is a real shame for Magellan, the problems you experienced just shouldn't happen in a GPS in this day and age.

Interested to see how the upgraded software fares.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 564396

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:26

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:26
Hiya Bonz

The Discover Aus Street By Street i have on my XL is bloody pathetic,when it comes to city driving i believe someone at Magellan should get there ass kicked,obviously they dont use it themselves...

I bought the XL for the Topo Maps which i find Excellent,The street by street was thrown in as a show special,would have been fuming if i had paid 300 odd bucks for it...

Not something you'd expect from Magellan as you stated

Cheers
FollowupID: 564435

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:35

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:35
I emailed them and their excuse was that the VicMaps and Navteq were to blame, now come to think of it wouldn't the XL use the same? But as previous stated mine is good out in the Vic HC.... silverback
FollowupID: 564464

Follow Up By: gary - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:13

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:13
Sounded great in the blurb but I have already returned my Crossover once and are about to again. I agree totally with David P, around town they are just plain "dumb" if a machine can be.
It will not reroute when you take a different road [even when you know it's shorter] and just keeps 'checking route' and then telling you to make a u/turn for the next umpteen klms. On freeways it will try to take you off half way down! Not sure I want to trust it in the bush. They just told me they fixed it, but returned a brand new unit.
I have the standard Toyota one in the Land Cruiser and as limited as that is it is a damn side more accurate than the Crossover.
Cheaper tom tom etc seem so much better.
Gary
FollowupID: 564469

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:28

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:28
hmmm the Garmin ois spectacular at city streets and in the bush Shame Mr Magellan

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564472

Reply By: Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:10

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:10
Personally I wouldnt waste your money on the Crossovers. I brought hubby one and after about our 3rd trip I sent it back to GPS Oz in Sydney and told them to keep it and do what ever they wanted with it. It kept freezing all the time, hardly any of the tracks were named on it and alot of pressing buttons to change states. For driving around Melbourne or Sydney using the turn by turn was good, but we brought ours for in the bush, not the city.They told me the upgrade fixed 90% of the problems, but I was not prepared to take the chance and we were heading to Tassie for 2 weeks. They ended up replacing it with an XL, which is what I originally rang to order, but was told the Crossovers were just as good, if not better. We are now happy with the XL, and wouldn't recommend the Crossovers to our worst enemy. We certainly dont think they are worth the money. I was very happy with the outcome from GPS Oz though, they were great about it.
Karen
AnswerID: 298329

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:15

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:15
Thanx Karen another glowing rap for GPS Oz Brian is a great guy and a great business.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564459

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 00:51

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 00:51
Barely There.

Just bought three of the new Aldi (Tevions - Aldi Brand name) navigators.

Shut up! Bonz, just sit back and listen for a change.

I purchased the first one they released around the beginning of last year (07) I think it was, and found it excellent to use.

It ran out of info/data once off of a made road, however still tracked and gave you a bearing to the next available made road. egGoogs track itself wasn't on it, however the made roads at the beginning and end of same were even though they were dirt.

It had all the redlight, speed cameras on it and other bits and pieces of useful info, plus the usual useless info as well.

The only issue I had with it was obtaining a map/data update.

Apparently it ran on one of the European systems and nobody thought of organising an updated version of the maps or it was too hard. Who knows the promised update never came but the new Navigator did (LOL)

Original cost AUD$279 from memory and the new one $179. At that price you get a new navigator, new system (Navteq) and up to date mapping.

A bit of useless info:

Nokia just bought Navteq for either $5 or $8 billion dolars so that they can included in their phones world wide.

Down side:

Aldi sold out at most stores on day one. You may be lucky if choose to buy one.

Take a deep breath Bonz as the Doctor says its good for you.

AnswerID: 298380

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:21

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:21
THREE!!!!!

One for each member??? You cant be that lost from playing with one!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564573

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:02

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:02
Nothing like a bit of built in redundancy.

FollowupID: 564660

Sponsored Links