track to Innamincka

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:55
ThreadID: 56594 Views:2770 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We want to travel from Cameron's Corner to Innamincka next month and would like to go via the Bore Track or the old Strzelecki track from Merty Merty. Can someone help with a bit of info on either? Does one rock up to Bollards Lagoon and pay a fee, and how much, to take the Bore track, and is a Desert Pass required to complete the trip to Innamincka? And is the old Strzelecki track still open, and can one follow it right through to Innamincka after it crosses the road east from Moomba? Appreciate any info.

Beal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Garbutt - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:53

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 17:53
You can do either, a fee of $10 per vehicle was payable last Sept when we went that way. Nice drive, quite interesting I thought. DP Pass is not required on the main roads but you need one for Coongie, and at least a camping permit for Innamincka area if you don't have a DP Pass. And yes, you just rock up to Bollards and pay your fee.

GB
AnswerID: 298300

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:34

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:34
Thanks Garbutt. Just the information I needed.
Beal
FollowupID: 564444

Reply By: The Parts Guy - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:02

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:02
We travelled along the Bore Track last October, as the last reply said it cost $10.00 per vehicle. We were towing a camp trailer and it was a nice change to be off the larger tracks and into some more out of the way scenery. It is not hard going and apart from a couple of drop off,s that came up a bit quick we had no drama. I think we saw one other car along the track. If you have the chance spend a night in Sturt national Park, we camped at Fort Grey and went for a morning walk in the bed of Lake Pinnaroo, with the wild flowers out it was a beautiful stroll and the contrast of colours is amazing.
AnswerID: 298304

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:42

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:42
Thanks Guy. We do intend to spend at least a night at Sturt NP. but probably at Dead Horse Gap where we meet up with another vehicle. Did spend a day at Fort Grey a few years back and agree that it was worth the visit to Lake Pinnaroo and its concentric rings of vegetation and the old ruins. We were there in emu breeding season. which made it even more memorable if a bit less sleepful. And a word of warning to other visitors, lock up your food if you leave your vehicle; the crows are particularly smart.
Regards.
Beal
FollowupID: 564447

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:04

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:04
The Bore Track is a much more interesting drive. The $10 fee at Bollards includes a mud map and directions. The track itself is not difficult and traverses both open country, claypans and some dunes. Oil and Gas exploration in the area has resulted in some major quality tracks and adds a bit of confucion at times but the track is well sign posted. You'll enjoy it.

Cheers. Mick
Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298305

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:07

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:07
Doh, Oil and Gas doesn't add a bit of Zen to the trip (confucion), just a bit of confusion. Knew I should have spell checked before submitting....grasshopper!
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564412

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:55

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:55
Hi Mick. Thanks again for the information. This is the first leg of the trip that will go through Rudell, so really looking forward to it. The maps I have give warnings about the plethora of exploration tracks including no go zones, and I did wonder if the track was clear. Always wanted to do the old Strzelecki Track as in pre GPS days we missed it the first time, but perhaps the Bore Track is the way to go. I like the photo.

Regards.

Beal
FollowupID: 564450

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:47

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:47
Brian,

I found some trek notes I made for the Bore Track on my trip in 2005. I have logged them as an attachment in my blog area in "my profile". They have a disclaimer on them as to accuracy and useage. Let me know if you can't open and save them and I'll forward them to you.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564466

Follow Up By: Prattie - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:48

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 07:48
Mick O
Great pics - am going that way in July - looks like your pulling a caravan - I taking a campervan - no probs getting thru?
FollowupID: 564496

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:29

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:29
Thanks Mick. I will take a look at them.
Regards
Beal
FollowupID: 564515

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:33

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:33
Prattie,

the photo is of a bloke we met on the track. He had a Hilux 4x4 tray with a pop top slide on unit. What type of Campervan do you have? If it's a 4x4 then not a worry. There are a few patches of sand on occassion, especially when you're rounding some of the tanks and stockyards (chopped up and dusty due to the cattle).

Here are both vehicles so I'll let you be the judge of your vehicles capabilities.Mine was the Navara with trailer. Second photo is of a section of the track at its northern end

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564576

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:16
Yep - from Merty Merty, the Old Strz is a straight forward run (across the main road as you say) and then up to Innamincka - a little windy and sandy in places - most of it is not a good idea if its been wet recently of course (the other 'newer' road into Innamincka was known as the all weather road when built) !
Have not used the Bore Track, but intend to - nice pic above.
AnswerID: 298308

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:05

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:05
Hi Darian. Thanks for your reply. All I need to do now is decide on the way as both routes look possible. From Innamincka the Walkers Crossing looks the better option to the north. It was closed last time we tried to take it. I guess it is open after the recent Qld rain.
Regards.
Beal
FollowupID: 564455

Reply By: Garbutt - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:11

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:11
Brian a bit more Bore Track scenery.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 298350

Reply By: Member - Derek L (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:20

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:20
G'day Brian we are heading out Ayres Rock in May and we will be going down through Cameron Corner then up to Innaminka. I was thinking of going via Moomba because my Hema Map tells me that the Bore Track form Bollard Lagoon is for emergency use only. Plus I reckon the Oil and Gas mines would be something else to look different to look at. We should be in the area around 5th of May. Hopefully we may cross paths somewhere along the way.

Goodluck
Derek L
AnswerID: 298368

Follow Up By: Member - Brian B (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:26

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:26
Hi Derek. We meet the other vehicle at Tibooburra on the 15th so will be later than you. We do carry HF radio and sat. phone if you would like to contact us and we can meet somewhere. It would be good to meet another Exploroz on the track and share a wine or something. We head north after Innamincka to Birdsville, Alice Springs then out via Garry Junction if that coincides with anything you are doing. We can give you VKS call sign or Phone No.
We had the same info about the Bore Track on our Hema map, and a note that the road was a private one and a fee applied on another. It took Exploroz forum notes to clarify the situation, which is why we are with them. The help we have been getting is great. As for looking at the oil and gas mines on the Moomba road, there is a roadside information board which is good, but no access to the plant itself. The road is clay capped and used by road trains, so be careful. They don't slow down and it is best to get out of their way.
Hope you have a great trip
Beal
FollowupID: 564514

Sponsored Links