Those fold out gazebo thingies

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:41
ThreadID: 56598 Views:4748 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,

On my ever increasing drive to make life easy and comfortable during winter camping trips, I want to do away with constructing TajMahal's of tarps and endless lengths of rope and look at one of those new fangled, self supporting canopies.

Any advice about the fold out gazebo's available from Ranger, BCF etc? Do they last, handle wind (as I make plenty myself), rain etc

I don't want to spend big bucks on a proper KD Canopy, but the Chinese knock-off's look OK from what I can see. If there's no horror stories, I'll get one.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:16
Are you talking about the vehilce mounted roll out awnings or those large tent like gazebo's. I have a Gunya Free standing awning on the PatrolImage Could Not Be Found

They are a great unit and I have an end wall which can be used to enclose the area against wind or more than double the roof area with a couple of extra poles.

The Opensky ones I've seen advertised in most 4x4 mags seem identicle and are half the price of the Gunya. They also have a full flyscreen system which would be bloody great.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298318

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:20

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:20
yep, I have used one got it for $99 at Go Lo when my van awning went on the fritz. only problem was it's bulk. easy to put up, but in windy conditions I did run out a few hawzers to keep it down. but a sensible & practical solution to getting some shade/shelter. I could have bought mesh sides to keep out flies but I didn't and I regretted that.
AnswerID: 298320

Reply By: 000dylan000 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:47

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:47
Mate some of them are good and some are rubbish. Oztrail and a couple of other brands make a good one called the delux gazebo. Its 3mx3m. The frame is made of about 25-30mm steel square tube, has a good framework in the roof and the material on top is a 300denier polyester (quite strong compared to the 150D most of them come in). Just stay away from the skinnier steel frames and more so the aluminium framed ones. they may be a lot lighter but a decent gust of wind and they will just fold in half on ya. A lot of the better ones can also have flyscreen or solid walls added to them (at an extra cost of course).
Hope this helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 298325

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:09

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:09
Mate, have a look at the Oztrail fold up...I have had one for about four years...what a beauty... easy to put up and take down...and if the wind gets up put a rope and peg on each corner. Mine came with zip on screen walls, but don't use them. About $180.00 2 years ago.

Fred
AnswerID: 298327

Follow Up By: Muzzgit [WA] - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 23:02

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 23:02
Yeah we have the green Oztrail one as well. Ours has seen some fairly windy camping trips so the only maintenance mine has needed is some heavy tape patches underside where it rubs on the joins of the frame.

A great investment, as the awning on Jayco campers are a pain in the bum so on short stops we just put the Oztrail up next to the camper. On long stops it goes up next to the Jayco awning, as can be seen in my rig photo's.
FollowupID: 564484

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:31

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:31
Hopefully Rod W will be along. he had one - the real deal and said he bought it after seeing them used at the v8 supercars.
looked the go. obviosly if wind is expected they need pegging down and he said he saw some blown away by a chopper at the cars. Cant remeber how much he said it was except thinking heck thats not bad. would consider one if i had a use for it
AnswerID: 298383

Sponsored Links