Dutch heritage at Roma - Longreach

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 13:00
ThreadID: 56660 Views:1204 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are going to be travelling with a Dutch friend from Roma to Longreach, and just wondered if there we any like early dutch settlements or anything that is Dutch culture related. We are so looking forward to showing her this great country of ours, but I'm sure it would just put a little icing on the cake for her if we found an attraction or two be it Windmills or Cloggs, I know she would really love it. So if anyone can offer some suggestions that would be Fantastic!!

Thanks
Andrea
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:13

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:13
Andrea

The Dutch had little imput to the colonialisation of Australia. They concentrated instead on Southern Africa and the East Indies. There were plenty of seafaring explorers in the 16 and 1700's but they only left names behind on islands in the far north.

In the 1800's some did settle in South Australia and later they moved out from there to isolated places in Central Australia.

You will find plenty of windmills in Outback Australia but why would you want to find Cloggs out there?.

I thought that one travelled to another country to experience a different culture and not to see more of the same that you are used to.

Cheers
AnswerID: 298702

Follow Up By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:13

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:13
I'm afraid you won't find much Dutch heritage out here. Fair bit of German influence, trust me, I'm one of 'em. I don't know of much Dutch influence further out, I think Willem is probably right. Mind you, you and your guest will find heaps to have a look at. Start at the Big Rig in Roma, on to Mt.Abundance, and just follow your nose.
Have a ball
FollowupID: 564852

Sponsored Links