Water Filters

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 15:49
ThreadID: 56666 Views:1996 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
There are so many water filters on the market these days and every distributor reconds his is the only one it's hard to get a logical answer.We do a lot of travelling outback and would like to set up a filtration system to fill our water tanks when required from creeks rivers dams and bores ect. Any advice and experience's would be much appreciated
Regards Allan & Maryanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:56

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:56
Allan and Maryanne,
I separate good water from doubtful water. I only put the best water into my 75litre tank. Anything slightly dodgy goes into the jerry cans.

All water that goes into the tank gets filtered with a "0.5 micron carbon block taste and odour removal filter" which is one half of your normal under sink system. Cost me $50 for the housing and cartridge from the local "Freshwater Systems" shop. It also removes bugs like giardia and cryptosporidium. I use the blue hose for filling the tank via the filter, so no plastic taste.

My preference is to filter the stuff going into the tank rather than the water coming out. To put the filter on the outlet, usually means you'll need a pump for it to flow. The dodgy stuff in the jerries gets used for washing.

Cheers
Phil

AnswerID: 298709

Follow Up By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:00

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:00
"$50 for the housing and cartridge from the local "Freshwater Systems" shop. It also removes bugs like giardia and cryptosporidium."
Must be the bargain of the year or not given the full facts and specifications. Got a link to the brand, specification and price?
FollowupID: 564846

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:11

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:11
Gday Paul,

Freshwater Systems website

They have a small shop here in Adelaide. They installed a complete undersink system to our new house 2 years ago for $240 installed. I bought the cartridge and filter for the LandCruiser a few months earlier.

Theres a fair markup in these filter systems. I'm sure if you shop around Melbourne, maybe the plumbing suppliers, you might do similar.
FollowupID: 564850

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:37

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:37
If you really want to do it right you'd need a pre filter to remove most of the rubbish, then a finer one to polish it up than the really high quality type that filters out the bugs. If you just go straight to the finer one you'll pay a fortune for blocked cartridges.

So three in line cartridge types would be the go, and even then you'd have to be wary about drinking water from the dams etc.

AnswerID: 298712

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:41

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:41
I agree with Phil in filtering water in not out and keeping a separate supply of water for less critical use.

Only things I would add is to go for one of the filters that has silver inside, slightly more expensive, but this inhibits bug growth whilst stored inevitably wet.

Most of the 0.5 micron filters need a bit of push to get a reasonable flow through them so a simple cheap bilge type pump won't work if you are going to fill from a stream or bucket. Good to let any river water etc settle in a bucket for a short while if it is cloudy. This saves the filter from clogging up quickly.

I also have my pump and filter easy to connect so I can recirculate the water, ie suck out of the tank and pump back in so you can clean it up if you get any bad taste and cannot afford to dump the water.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 298713

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:43

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:43
Sorry to duplicate Notso - your reply was not there when I started mine.
FollowupID: 564824

Reply By: A J - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:44

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 17:44
REV'S - have a look on www.rvpoint.com.au they have a section on news & reviews - on the bottom of the first page - go to >> find more features here - second page >>> search now - then go to page 4 item 38 they discuss a water filter known as best filter - appear good . Cost $94 - said to be good for 5,000 litres - can be back flushed.

I have no connection with the product - just read about it.

A J
AnswerID: 298715

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:31

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:31
Mighty be easier to find at www.bestwaterfilters.com.au rather than searching for it.....

Andrew
FollowupID: 564831

Reply By: REV'S - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:04
Thanks guys for your help ,We'll look into all responces
Allan & Maryanne
AnswerID: 298733

Sponsored Links