Stereo swap in 80 series

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:08
ThreadID: 5667 Views:1538 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm sure many have traded in the standard full DIN radio/cassette player with a decent 1/2 DIN CD player/CD stacker head unit. I have got my old faithful and well travelled Kenwood 6 stacker CD player to put in, the stacker will fit snug into the console between the seats and the head unit into 1/2 of the hole left by the original unit. Question is...what to do with the other 1/2? A DIN mounted CB will fit (ie UH088 etc) I'm sure, but I already have one that will screw under the dash in front of the gear sticks...she's an oldy and will eventually be replaced with one for the 1/2 hole, but until then? Is there a manufacturer who makes up plastic console bits with just a simple recess for sunnies etc or will something from a wreckers out of whatever else fit? Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS Thanks for all the pics and calls from members while I was looking for an 80... my missus' (read handbrake) idea of a 'Cruiser definately wasn't the same as mine... she didn't want all the goodies..."why do you need them for? You're not taking this off road...you better not treat this like your Hilux's...!!!" so I'll have to add them a bit at a time so she wont notice!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:17

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:17
mrdesmo

not sure how well it would fit, but what about one of the plasic doovers like in the hilux's. I'm sure you could pick one up from a wrecker pretty cheap.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 23547

Reply By: Tony J - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:59

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:59
80 series STD had a recessed piece to hold things. The Std had a cheapie radio/cassette. Try the wreckers.
AnswerID: 23555

Follow Up By: Busta - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:26

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:26
The 75 series has the same setup too
FollowupID: 15743

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:36

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 13:36
You can buy 'pockets' that are single din, that you can use, so maybe the local autobarn has them in 1/2 din too??

you wouldnt be the first person to look for one.. I got a single din one the other day for the GQ when I put the Alpine in.
AnswerID: 23568

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:35
Hi
The gxl in 94 has the half din cd player and plastic sunglass tray underneath. You can get oem if you like, or get one at the wreckers.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 23585

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 23:43

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 23:43
Beauty...thanks...sounds like the go
Cheers
FollowupID: 15788

Reply By: Hilly - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:01

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:01
What did you end up buying Mr Desmo?
AnswerID: 23593

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 23:40

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 23:40
Hi Hilly,
Ended up with a bog stock standard GXL 11/92 model 4.2 diesel factory turbo with 200k on the odo, absolutely immaculate, country car, full service history etc, the missus liked the carpet and electric everthing. Suspension sagged, typical 'yota springs, she loves it..."at least its not as high as the Hilux..." you should hear the noise she makes when I mention lift kit etc etc..(she's only a shorty!) Its got flat Polyairs in the rear....anyone know what pressure these run at? Don't want them to go bang!
Nearly had her convinced to fly to Perth to buy yours...I loved it...everything I was looking for...was even working out holidays to drive it home!! Didja end up selling it? I was going to ask (if I was allowed to get that far!) what is the fuel economy like with the Sprintex..I've heard different opinions...
Cheers
FollowupID: 15787

Follow Up By: Hilly - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:55

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:55
Still got it there but adding in the roof rack now for the same price, $28k. Thought it was going the other day but although the hubby was impressed by the capability, the missus wanted to see carpet on the floor. Such is life.

The supercharger definitely increased the fuel consumption from standard but the power increase is worth every penny. Overtaking is a breeze at highway speeds and off-road doesn't need big revs or speed because the 7 pound boost is there from idle. The consumption doesn't seem to vary much from about 6km to the litre, off-road, on road, towing or round town. It can get a bit thirsty though when the camper trailer is on the back, roof rack is loaded for bear and you sit on 110 all day. I have seen it drop to 5 km per litre.

I should be seeing my Patrol in about a week or so and running it in nicely with a 10 or so day trip up to Millstream and the Pilbara coast. Heard a few more stories lately that have reinforced my philosophy on life, 'Live every day as if it's your last, because one of these days you're going to be right!'

Cheers,

Hilly
FollowupID: 15873

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 07:19

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 07:19
LOL...what is it with women and carpets..??? My argument was seeing as she never actually cleans the damn thing after trips away...I should get to choose...her argument was if I want one then it has to have carpet and be like a "normal car"...life is full of compromises, eh?
Which Patrol you getting?
We did a trip round Oz in 2000 in an old 85 Hilux, followed the coast most of the way from the bottom of WA until we reached Monkey Mia, Point Peron...then headed straight inland to Mt Augustus and zigzagged our way up through Mt Tom Price through the Pilbara...bloody beautiful!

Now we have a 2 yo and one on the way...have to put such trips on hold for awhile...or so the handbrake says..I'm working on her!!
Enjoy ya holiday...very envious.

Cheers
Jeff
FollowupID: 15874

Sponsored Links