4WD Assistants needed - Grampians area

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:13
ThreadID: 56672 Views:1969 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, this is a really good news story. One of Kate's great mates at Uni has passed on this information to us

Brush-tailed Rock Wallabies which became extinct in the late nineties in the Grampians area of Victoria. Parks Victoria have been captive breeding the animals and now intend to release some back into the Grampians were they once existed. Its all quite exciting stuff.

There is an up-coming event to release some of these guys back into their previous habitat which some of us may like to be involved in. The location of the release site is remote and in the future Parks Victoria love to get some 4WDers involved in ongoing monitoring kind of activities. I reckon som ekeen "locals" from EO may have a leg in to help out a great cause here.

Currently they are just trying to get people aware of the project which I reckon is a great thing. If you are interested there is some information below about the release day in 1 May 2008.

Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Garbutt - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:30
Isn't it great to hear of these things happening, I can't help this one but do help projects closer to home. Good luck with it Bonz and hope they are controlling the ferals to help these ones thrive.

GB
AnswerID: 298726

Reply By: Member- Tony C - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:18

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:18
Hi Bonz.
Thats great news.Thanks for passing on that information.Its right on my back doorstep and i hadn't heard of the release.
I heard the breeding program discussed on ABC regional radio a while ago which sounded such a great effort to preserve the species in the Grampians before it was to late.

Cheers.
Tony
AnswerID: 298736

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:19

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:19
Tha means your right on my back doorstep I am south of Ararat

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564853

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:25

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:25
Is that Kate who is doing the Deer research for her PHD ?
AnswerID: 298821

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 17:30

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 17:30
No Rob, Its one of Kate's friends from Uni

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565346

Sponsored Links