dual battery system

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 22:45
ThreadID: 56679 Views:2571 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
sure someone can help me with this one. bare with me, it's a bit long winded!

my 100 series ULP has a daul battery set up with main hooked up to starter and all aux's. (Engle,CB and the boys DVD player.)
the secondary is stand alone and push button activated to join in if the main is low. Problem with this set up is the batteries equalise and this left me stranded in Fitzpatric NP with a dead main and a half charged secondary which wasn't enough to kick the petrol guzzler over! ( the car hadn't been started for about 10 hrs and the boy watched the idiot box for about 2 hrs.)

should I just get a monitor and a thumper (for back up) for the batteries or change the aux appliances over to the secondary and have main battery as stand alone for starting the engine?

will towing a camper with 12/240 volt dual battery system require a specific set up in the tow vehicle.

cheers,

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:02

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:02
If the DVD player is connected to the aux the main should not be drained. Have the wiring checked for drain or a back flow of some kind.

Regards'

Derek.
AnswerID: 298782

Follow Up By: Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:03

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:03
P.S.

Read my camper charge article.
FollowupID: 564924

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:46

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:46
Derek

My reading of evren1 post is that the DVD is hooked up, as are all his aux - including the son's DVD player to the main.

"....with main hooked up to starter and all aux's. (Engle,CB and the boys DVD player.)"

If it was me I would change it so the ONLY thing the main did was the starter (and uhf/hf and winch, if he has them) all other 'stuff' I would hang off the 2nd battery
FollowupID: 564927

Follow Up By: Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:07

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:07
Yes I agree, The system should be checked so the main is for cranking only.
FollowupID: 564929

Follow Up By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:41

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:41
this is how it's set up fellas, and I will endeavour to have it rewired so the main is stand alone for starting.

advice much appreciated.

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 564935

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:18

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:18
Evan,
take it back to the halfwit that installed it and "tell" him to fix it so the CRANKING battery is ONLY used as a Cranking battery, just as the maker has made it, to deliver huge amps over a 'short' burst of time.

Then the Aux battery is wired to ONLY run the Fridge and ALL accessories as they are made to do, delivering a low Amp drain over a long period of time, then you won't need an extra thumper battery.

A compromise battery is just only a compromise and will do neither as well as a purpose built battery will.

Why not publish the name of the idiot that wired up a Cranking battery to ALSO run a fridge and all accessories, just so people know who NOT to go to for 12v advice.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 298799

Follow Up By: Krakka - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:04

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:04
Don't think I would have a winch connected to aux battery, this draws huge amps over a short 'short' burst of time.
Krakka
FollowupID: 564945

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:20

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:20
Krakka,

Are we talking about the same post ?
I can't read anywhere in his thread that Evan has a winch !!

Hence I posted "take it back to the halfwit that installed it and "tell" him to fix it so the CRANKING battery is ONLY used as a Cranking battery, just as the maker has made it, to deliver huge amps over a 'short' burst of time. Then the Aux battery is wired to ONLY run the Fridge and ALL accessories as they are made to do, delivering a low Amp drain over a long period of time."

simply because Evan has NOT nominated a winch as one of his accessories.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 564974

Follow Up By: Krakka - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 17:51

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 17:51
Sorry Mainey, didn't mean to get ya back up, I was taking your answer as a general reply to a dual batt setup, rather than specific to Evans problem. Yes I agree, take it back to the halfwit that installed the set up.
Krakka
FollowupID: 565059

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:24

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:24
If the Main has been discharged and the car still won't start when a good second battery is connected to it, you have an extra problem - the isolating switch between the batteries is not capable of handling the starter current ! A dumb installation, where all loads are connected to the starting battery.

Contrary to popular myth, you will not get significant charge transfer into a flat battery when you connect a charged battery to it. Yes, I have actually measured it - no, it definitely doesn't happen. You need MORE THAN 13 volts to put charge into a battery.
AnswerID: 298808

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:37

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:37
Mine is set up so the main runs the car - as per standard, but also has the spotties. Aux powers UHF, fridge, light, power outlets, inverter, etc. Basically, anything that will drain a battery when car is switched off. Never net me down in the two cars I've had set up like this.
AnswerID: 298843

Reply By: Member - Peter G (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 21:02

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 21:02
Evan

Have a look at the web site, www.fridgeandsolar.au
I think you will find it of interest.

Peter
AnswerID: 298924

Sponsored Links