shower tents

Submitted: Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 567 Views:8240 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
All the information in the forum re showers has been very helpful and I have now purchased one. But does anyone have a view on shower tents/enclosures? Most of the national parks I want to visit don't have showers and I don't know if I really want to wait until dark each day.
There is a pop up version I've seen but I've also seen an ad for an Oz Trail dome shower enclosure which seems very good and is only $9 more. Question - is it really necessary to have one; if so are there any recommendations out there, or do people prefer to make do and hope that the moon goes behind a cloud?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00
Maree, it depends whether you are travelling to one spot and staying for a week and using it as a communal showerblock or lifting camp regularly on a longer trip of many weeks/months. My personal opinion is you don't need to take a showerscreen. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages... they take up so much space, are time consuming to setup and just not necessary. You just want use it. In many instances, if a shower block isn't around then there isn't available water, which means you'd have to use your own water supplies. You'd be crazy to waste it on a shower when drinking and cooking is more important. In those instances a wet facecloth for an "AP&C" (armpit and crotch) is plenty and can be done in the tent, in the car, behind a tree, behind the car door etc. Space is usually the most important factor and shower screens just can't be justified for the amount of room they take up for how little they'll be used. Maybe I'm just a grot, but I really think we waste too much water on being "excessively clean". When you travel its impossible to stay reallly squeakly clean and a daily shower is a total waste when in 10minutes time you could lean against the side of the car to reach something off the roof and get covered in dirt, or have the windows down and get dust in your hair etc. You soon recognise that city living vs travelling requires a different level of attention to cleanliness (note I didn't say hygeine - you don't need to be squeaky clean to be hygenic.) Who else agrees with me?
AnswerID: 1490

Follow Up By: Steve Campbell - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Could not agree more. You certainly aren't grots. My wife and I are always amused at the site of the fourby pulling up, and the wife looking for the showers (on the Gunbarrel Hwy) and the husband toweling off the dust on his pride and joy :) After 25 years of family camping we either swim (don't put the shampoo or soap in the river/waterhole) or use the facewasher. Those baby "wet Ones" are good for giving your hands a quick clean before meals. It is MOST important to be hygenic as illness can be serious that far from hospital, but that does not necessarily mean the hair has that "just washed" glow, or the face spotless. ( and all our children haved lived through this :)
FollowupID: 457

Follow Up By: Maree - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:00
Michelle - What I generally had in mind was a few days in the one spot, often with a fresh water supply (although not for drinking). Most of the national parks that I am thinking of have toilets but no showers and that was the main purpose of my question. I admit to being too much of a townie to give up a brief shower if I can still have the luxury. You make a very valid point though in other respects.
FollowupID: 462

Reply By: Roger Lowry - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

HI Maree,
Yes My Wife and I carry a shower tent, it is the type that pops up from a circular form. It is free standing and can be pegged at the bottom if it is windy. We also use this tent as a portable outhouse when there are no trees. We also do not shower daily to conserve water but if camped where water is available find that heating a small quantity of water and adding this to our shower bucket, one can have a leasurely wash without worring about prying eyes. However if space is a problem have an a.p.c. and wait for the next shower block on your journey.
Dodg.
AnswerID: 1492

Follow Up By: Keith - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Maree, I agree with Roger. After some research, I bought a "multi purpose privacy sheter" (yes, that's its name!) by Wild Country Leisure for $76. It folds down to a circular shape and stows easily in a bag provided. Just one tip if you decide to purchase one. Get the sales staff at the store to demo how to collapse it...it's easy but tricky!
FollowupID: 459

Reply By: Kate - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Like the other responses we tend not to bother too much with a shower tent (especially if no one around) but a bit of advice on them any way - we bought a cheaper one that we have had problems with each time we have used it (normally when we go to Tamworth County Music Festival) and have regreted it. Most of the time we just have a wash in the dish strategically placed in our tent (one you can stand up in) we have just bought a Oz Trail tent and happened to see their ensuite tent and it looks better than most of the ones we have seen.
AnswerID: 1493

Kate - that was very helpful, thank you. The web site which sells the Oz trail ensuite tent advised me that this is the one that they sell the most of and which they recommend. Both the Oz trail and the pop up shelter would appear to do the trick unless, of course, I'm shamed into just being hygeinic instead of clean as well. Anything is possible.
FollowupID: 464

Reply By: Jenny - Monday, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:00

Maree: get a baby wash basin, a kettle of hot water, cool it down to bearable temperature with cold water, stand over it for the main part of the body, husband next, then the crevice wash and then stand in it for your feet !! My husband and I wash this way all through the outback, use minimal water and with a washer can go for a week or ten days without shower withdraw symptoms!
And you thought that Tyre Questions would stir the natives!!
Use the basin as a storage bin the rest of the time-- put his bloody beer in it !!!
Jen
AnswerID: 1495

You're right Jenny. I didn't realise bathing was such an emotive issue! I might stick to tyres and batteries in future.
FollowupID: 463

Reply By: Tony- Tuesday, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:00

Maree, All those that have responded have made valid points, but, they have all forgotten one thing. It feels sooooo good to have a hot shower at the end of a dusty day travelling or to wash the salt off after a swim in the ocean,and to climb into bed nice and clean! I admit that when water is scarce, we make do with an AP&C wash but oh! that hot shower feels so wonderful when water is available. Follow the shower with an icy cold beer, a camp fire, good company and I feel like I'm in heaven!
AnswerID: 1497

Reply By: Allan - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:00

Maree, All I can say is that we must be the ‘odd couple’ because, we made it a rule to have a hot refreshing shower each night before bed (providing water is available). Your sheets /sleeping gear stays clean for a good nights sleep and its absolutely great for the sex life. We use a small submersible pump and shower assembly but modified it so it only operates when you press a ‘push button’ switch with your toe. It really saves water – just wet yourself down, lather up and rinse off. We can both have a good shower on less than one small bucket of water -probably even less water than most of you using a flannel & water and much more hygienic.
Our shower/ toilet enclosure (when in public) is a standard tarpaulin supported by tent poles. The tent poles fit into small guides welded onto our camper trailer drawbar so we don’t need to use ropes.
AnswerID: 1498

Reply By: John antwerp - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:00
Comon Maree...We were all born without clothes..I am sure you have only got what half the population has got...get nude for Christ sakes and worry about more important things
AnswerID: 1533

Reply By: craig - Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00
Maree, when camping at the same spot for a lenght of time and water is plentiful there is nothing better than a daily shower. Both my brother in laws and I have all purchased the Oz Trail Ensuites at our wifes suggestion and they are fantastic and great to wash the young ones in. On our last trip (10 days)one brother in law who used to boast that he could go two weeks without a shower was now showering each afternoon. We use the plastic solar showers which are great but are looking at other options (ie: Glind, pump and bucket ) etc to make it easier to bath 4 persons and as it is difficult getting the bags onto the hanging hook and they hang rather low. We had one of the cheaper (not by much) polytarp type structures and the Oz Trail is far superior. If you are using a solar shower or similar you will need to find a tree or rig up a structure to hang the shower of with the pop up types however I know a friend who uses the pop up type with a in car shower and says they are fantastic.
AnswerID: 1729

Sponsored Links