Insurance- Tell me your worst and best

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 19:49
ThreadID: 56706 Views:1771 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Am currently in the process of renewing my insurance portfolio and am wondering if anyone has had any offroad claims experience with major insurance companies? Suncorp Metway have been my insurer of choice for the last 5 years but are they worth their salt in the event of an 'non designated road' claim or even a 'non bitumen' road claim?

I am sure that this will attract some brickbats and boquets for different insurance companies but I am keen to hear of other members experiences.

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 21:34

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 21:34
Craig.
30 Years ago I had a bad experience with an insurance company. I decided that self insurance was the only way to go, so instead of renewing my polices on many items I payed the deposit on a rented house instead,[ about the same amount of money] Luckily there has been no claims and I have moved on and have several houses now worth over $m just from paying the equivalent of the policies. Eric
AnswerID: 298936

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:18

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:18
Hope that you've at least got Third Party Property - to protect the other poor motorist's damaged vehicle that you may collide with. Self insurance is a noble thing but in relaity never really works because the self-insured never wants to part with THEIR money. If insured, the Ins. Company handles all aspects of the claim including legal matters if it gets to that.
FollowupID: 565161

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:19

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:19
By the way, I am currently using APIA for house, contents, motor vehicles. For the c/van I am using CIL and have done so for more than 20 yrs. Never had a problem with them and their premiums seem competitive.
FollowupID: 565162

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:58

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:58
Yea

I had a electrical fire in my Hilux years ago out at a 4x4 park CGU came to the party, there was no paperwork and everything was done over the phone. I do my home and contents and landlords insurance with them and the wife's car but they won't do the Patrol. Claiming was very fast and easy and got the car back after about 2 weeks needed a whole new electrical system end cost was just under 3k
AnswerID: 298978

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:59

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:59
Just to add Dad had his Cruiser insured with Suncorp and his Cruiser went for a swim over at Rainbow beach years ago and it was a write off. They came to the party and paid out what it was worth
FollowupID: 565150

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:07

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 09:07
Hi Craig - RACQ have been excellent for us.
Rolled the van on corrugations on Roper Rd NT - claim assessed and paid within about 3 weeks. Had a small accident with the Patrol - same thing - had to take it to their assesment centre at Mt Gravatt - but all fixed and settled fast. Very happy with the service and price.
.....................Keith
AnswerID: 298985

Sponsored Links