Hummer H3? Diesel engine?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 20:39
ThreadID: 56735 Views:6005 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

I have owned a Nissan Patrol With a 5 inch lift for a few years and it time to upgrade.

I dont really like any of the 4 wheel drives out there, so i am looking at the H3 hummer, the only thing is that i am no keen on the current engine. What does everyone else think? is it a little small for the size of the car?

Also has anyone heard if they are going to release a Diesel Engine like a 3 liter Turbo?

If so do you know when?

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 20:49

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 20:49
How about this one ....

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 299079

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 20:51

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 20:51
I doubt the Hummer would be an upgrade from your Nissan, not in ability anyway. Small fuel capacity & storage area with a thirsy engine doesn't lend it'self to a vehicle for exploring Oz, rather being better at turning heads down at StKilda beach. Diesel Jeep Wrangler may be an option if not after anything too big?
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 299080

Reply By: GlenJ - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:36

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:36
Got to agree with the above comment
Unless the looks really appeal to you I would keep what you have.

I think:
A V8 is slated for an end of year release.
A diesel is not know to be released in the forseable future
AnswerID: 299087

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 23:43

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 23:43
Hiya Brent

Crikey the Bull Bar off your Patrol will certainly look the goods on the Hummer,and maybe buy an M2 machine gun for the turret off Ebay

(for the rabbits and roo's and of course the littering bush ferals) lol

Ooooh Yeah I'm excited...

AnswerID: 299110

Reply By: PajeroTD - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:03

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:03
The Hummer H3 is getting the 2.9L V6 184kw/550Nm, reverse airflow engine, meets Tier 2 Bin 5 Emissions

Hummer H2 is getting the 4.5L V8 Duramax with 230kw/705Nm, reverse airflow, Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions.

The 4.5 should fit inside the H3 engine bay, if the 5.3 does. According to GM, the 4.5 has similar external dimensions to the small block V8 (5.3, 6.0) . I don't know if they will sell the H3 with the V8 diesel though.
AnswerID: 299129

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:09

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:09
For some weird reason only known to the GM marketing people, diesel engines are not a big consideration in their vehicles.

It must be an "American" thing where "gas" (petrol) is so cheap over there, they don't need anything else.

In the meantime, other vehicle manufacturers are providing diesel optioned engines in many of their vehicle ranges. GM will only do this when they lose market share and by then it will probably be too late.

Take the Commodore for instance. How good would a diesel engined commodore be in the Australian market?

But no, to my knowledge, a diesel engined Hummer is being "considered" for the future, but no time frame mentioned.
By then, the Hummer would probably have gone the way of many other GM imported vehicles that have a brief lifespan in Australia before disappearing.

Another marketing strategy that escapes my logic, is why doesn't GM market the Hummer under the Holden banner. You cannot go to a "Holden" dealership to view and order the Hummer. You have to go to the Hummer/Saab dealer of which there maybe one in each major city. Then there is the expertise available to service and provide repair facilities for that vehicle.

GM are getting sales of the Hummer, but I suspect not in the quantity they would if they had me as the Australian Marketing Manager:-))

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299139

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:30

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:30
"How good would a diesel engined commodore be in the Australian market?"

LOL If the diesel Gemini is any indication it would be a dead set flop. LOL
FollowupID: 565302

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 14:52

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 14:52
Sand Man

How good would a diesel engined commodore be in the Australian market?

Probably the same type of uncomfortable rubbish as they have produced for years.

I had to drive Holden vehicle at work for year and have the bad back to prove it.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 565325

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 18:10

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 18:10
OK guys, I'll bite.

John,
I would hardly compare the Gemini with the Commodore.
The diesel engined Rodeo has been highly successful, as has vehicles from GM plants in Europe.

Tjilpi,
The type of engine (petrol or diesel) would have no impact whatsoever on comfort level.
You don't actually state which Holden vehicle supposedly gave you a bad back, but I would guess not a commodore. How many people that own and drive commodores have complained of a bad back?
It would be far more likely your bad back was caused by a physical stress or strain injury and not by sitting in a car.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 565351

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:12

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:12
Sand Man

I injured my back due to lengthy hours spend behind the wheel of a Commodore with their poorly designed seats.

I then drove Rodeo's without a problem until they changed the design of their seats to be as unsupportive as the commodores.

I then had problems in the rodeo.

In the occupation I was in a number of people suffer from problems with the back. They drive commodores.

A lot of people own commodores but do not spend most of their working day in the vehicle. They drive too and from work or too and from the shop.

Tjilpi

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 565561

Reply By: Juzzy - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:18

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:18
That's right. The Diesels in the US are considered to have poor economy and are designed for black smoke belching trucks.

A lot of australians did too until the last 10 years or so when the engines started getting pretty good. But based on the price of diesel compared to petrol, there is still not enough demand.

Europe have it good with cheaper fuel.

But for the Hummer, there is a Diesel coming - can't find the link I had :(

There is also a smaller H4 coming:
Edmunds Future Vehicles
AnswerID: 299140

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:24

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:24
Well the Europeans did lead the way in diesel technology, but including GM and Ford, the US companies have bought this technology, and 2010 Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions in the US is a lot tougher than Europe's Euro5. The emissions controls have an effect on increasing fuel consumption, aswell as making the engine more expensive, which doesn't help diesel become a more cost efficient technology than gasoline (especially when diesel fuel is much more expensive at the moment). To assist in getting as good economy as they can, while meeting the toughest emissions, they now use Urea injection, which, like LPG injection, acts as a catalyst in reducing fuel consumption, and increasing in power. You will find that 2010 US diesels will probably be the cleanest diesels in the world.
FollowupID: 565431

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:35

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:35
This is a good video from Bob Lutz (GM) on the future of diesel engines.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM

FollowupID: 565432

Sponsored Links