DP chip diesel power.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 20:01
ThreadID: 56758 Views:8458 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just wandering, has any one fitted a DP chip or similar to their
Nissan GU 2.8 turbo. Did it give more power and better fuel economy.
Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:40

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:40
Peronally after researching these I would buy a Safari Dtronic. Have a look here

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=26223

And do a search on "Chips" and you will find quite a few threads
Also try the Patrol forum
AnswerID: 299245

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 00:02

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 00:02
I've got a safari chip attached to my 3lt (2002) GU. Personally, if you were considering putting a chip on your vehicle, I'd upgrade the exhaust and also fit a a Pyro guage. These things (chip) work by pumping more fuel in WHOLESALE! You've really got to be able to monitor what the engine is doing lest you end up with a hole in the No. 4 piston! The standard water 'temp' guage just doesn't cut it so plan for the expense. Yes they do work. I've go the dyno results that show the power increase but that result is also due to having an exhaust that can cater for extracting the added gases resulting from the extra fuel burnt!.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299255

Follow Up By: mattie - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 07:20

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 07:20
Hi Mick
I am curious did you test before and after the exhaust or did you do the whole job at once and what were the results?

Mattie
FollowupID: 565433

Follow Up By: Luvdatpatrol - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:06

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:06
Hi Mick,

Couldn't agree with you more. I have had the unit and the pyro gauge fitted on my 3ltr Patrol and have noticed for normal driving no real difference in exhaust temps.... But on a hot day planting it up a long steep hill I have seen the exhaust temps rise up to 100 degrees higher than with out the unit.

Interested to know some of the readings you are getting with the exhaust fitted.

Also is it a common thing among everyone that you now have smoke out the exhaust when the foot is planted with one of these units installed?

Adrian
FollowupID: 565847

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:45

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:45
Yep, know what you mean. The chip works by simply dumping more fuel into the motor. Hense the higher temps and more smoke as it tries to burn it all. Hense why the larger exhaust is critical. I've seen mine get to 500C going up a steep hill before I notices it and backed off. 600C is considered the death zone for diesels but like anything, it could be more or it could take less to melt a hole. High temp reading is a sure sign that it's time to back down a gear and back off a fraction. I generally cruise anywhere between 220 and 380C depending on a hill or not. Flat road cruising - 220 to 280C.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565883

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:46

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:46
Yep, know what you mean. The chip works by simply dumping more fuel into the motor. Hense the higher temps and more smoke as it tries to burn it all. Hense why the larger exhaust is critical. I've seen mine get to 500C going up a steep hill before I noticed it and backed off. 600C is considered the death zone for diesels but like anything, it could be more or it could take less to melt a hole where you don't want it. High temp reading is a sure sign that it's time to back down a gear and back off a fraction. I generally cruise anywhere between 220 and 380C depending on a hill or not. Flat road cruising at 100 kph - 220 to 280C.

Cheers. Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565884

Reply By: sfletch - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:19

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:19
I have a DP chip in my Hilux,bit more power,no better economy,have to watch the foot on the eccelerator,sink the boot too much or rev too high and it billows black smoke,keep constant attention on the eccelerator and it goes well,dont think the motor can burn the fuel quick enough,went for the chip as i could remove it if i sold the vehicle,but what i have read lately next time i would go for the exhaust.
AnswerID: 299308

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:01

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:01
sfltch, I thought the thing about the DP Chip system was that it was user adjustable and you could choose to put in more fuel or otherwise, just on screw positions.

Some chipping systems are different to others. Some modify the signal to the ECU and others do the control of the fuel systems them selves. The DP Chip does the control, where the Safari one plugs into the ECU and fools it into thinking the way it should act. The DP Chip should be more controllable as long as the people who alter it understand what they are doing.
FollowupID: 565566

Follow Up By: sfletch - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:33

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:33
What you are saying is true John,the chip is set on 5 half way,i have set the chip on 7 on 3 on 4 but the motor still gets to a certain working point then after that it cant seem to burn the fuel,the settings are 1 - 9 my chip is set halfway on 5 set it much lower and you cannot feel much improvement,i have experimented with this a bit and found that watching the eccelerator,not loading or forcing the motor, will get the best out of the chip,when i first got the chip it was frightening to see the smoke pour out the back when i didnt know what was happening.
FollowupID: 565851

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 23:10

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 23:10
mate, just wondering if you fitted the chip up or a workshop? I followed Redback across NSW just after he had the computer remapped in the Disco a few years back. Every time his foot went into it a cloud of black smoke was emitted. I can imagine if you hadn't expected it alarm bells may have rung from rear vision mirror images. The amount of smoke almosts sounds like it could have a turbo boost too.

Does it make an incremental lift with each incrememntal setting modification?

I am a bit interested in the chip or another similar but the Safari chip affects the radio and the in-dash GPS where they are fitted. Kath is a Sahara with such a system.
FollowupID: 565888

Follow Up By: JB79SERIES - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:07

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:07
have just installed a chip to my 79 sires t/d f/tray principally for towing [kimberlycamper] find the extra torque terrific particularly when climbing fuel eco is marginly better depending on the amount of pressure applied to the go pedal
FollowupID: 566195

Follow Up By: sfletch - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:12

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:12
definently more torque normal driving,low range excellent,yes more smoke higher setting,when on 7 the smoke was unbelievable,turn chip off,no smoke,my motor has been looked after by me since new,serviced on the dot,not thrashed,hammered,i want this car to last,so i dont think/hope the smoke is anything but chip related,i did not install the chip myself,tho the guy who did install the chip,i thought was a bit unsure how it worked by the advice he gave me,good bloke,done the right thing by free install done on time.
what happened to your mates vehicle sounds exactly what happens to mine.
as i have said watch the accelerator,revs and the chip works fine.
i have no gps,does not affect radio.
FollowupID: 566369

Sponsored Links