Which way to Cape York?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 56761 Views:2145 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

We are going to the cape in july going up to broken hill,tibooburra,inamincka to birdsville but not sure which way then.

Option 1:birdsville to mt isa via diamantina dev rd,then to cloncurry,up bourke dev rd to normanton then across to gregory dev rd and up or

Option2:birdsville to longreach via betoota,windorah,jundah then to longreach,to muttaburra to hughendon then up kennedy dev rd to lynd junction and up.

i would appreciate comments from those that have been either of these routes.i want to try something different hence asking this question.cheers Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 14:28

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 14:28
Hi, we have done your No 2 Option when we went on the bikes and from people we spoke to that is the best ( nicest) way to go.
We came down the coast as far as Mackey and then home thu Charleyville and Bourke .
cheers Des.
ps , it was August when we went.
AnswerID: 299290

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:54

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:54
Birdsville to Boulia is flat, not much to see, but north of Boulia gets scenic. If you haven't been to Mt Isa is worth having a look round for a day or two. Is rugged low ranges country to Cloncurry - nice drive, then not much variation from there to Normanton. If you have time, would recommend a third option: from Mt Isa, go west about 120km, then north up the Thorntonia rd, to Lawn Hill and Adels Grove. You can camp at either - we prefer Adels. Lawn Hill Nat Park is a magic place. After a little break there, you can travel east to Burke and Wills Roadhouse, then Normanton etc. Places to stay that we regard as ok through to great are Boulia, Mt Isa (just because you have to stay here a day or two to see it!), Adels Grove, Cloncurry, Mt Surprise (Bedrock Village CP).
AnswerID: 299319

Reply By: Voxson - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:09

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:09
It's just a personal thing because both ways are really about the same as far as driving goes.....
But,, i rather go up via option2 and come back via option1....
Because,,, option2 has some really nice places you can stop for a while,,, EG,, Longreach Hall of Fame, Quantas Museum etc,,,, In Hughendon you have a great butcher shop,,, Muttaburra a nice relaxing pub which seems to really cool off after dark....
Porcipine Nat Park,,,,

The Option1 is a bit of a stop for fuel and keep going sort of route..Except for Normanton for the pub and crocodile..

So i find if i go option2 on the way back,,, well all you wanna do is get home and drive straight past all the good things anyway...
Mt Isa sorta reminds me of Pt Augusta....

Just my views on it...
AnswerID: 299321

Sponsored Links