For the Rudall River Devotees ( & anywhere north of the Talawana Track)

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 21:49
ThreadID: 56764 Views:2552 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Google Earth, and pardon me if someone else has mentioned this but...within the last month, G/E has updated their imagery for the area North of the Talawana Track. It's now got a much better resolution that it did only a few weeks back. You can pick out the trees in the campground of DQB and all the pools.Image Could Not Be FoundHanging Rock and Bocrabee Hills are plain to see. For anyone that's ever been lost south of the Mike Mine, you can actually identify the track down to Christies and then Balfour downs. The good cheer extends all the way to the NT border but doesn't yet cover much further south than the Talawana. Never the less it's a bloody great addition to the tool box for trip planning! Also goes a long way to showing just how far off some of the Hema approximations can be (that's of the G/E co-ordinates are Kosher).

Cheers

Mick.

Image Could Not Be Found

P.S. The track to the north as shown in this photo no longer exists. Washed away in 2005.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:09

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:09
Good one, Mick

Still planning a trip out there again next year but might have to mortgage the house to pay for the fuel.....lol

At DQB I only got as far as the first waterhole from the campsite. Knee problems prevented further exploration so I drove instead to the cave in the hills directly behind the campsite. With the GQ parked at an acute angle getting out was easy but getting back in was another ball game alltogether :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 299238

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:26
Mate I did all eight pools last year and it's a hell of a journey. At the very top the creek opens into a "pound" like area that I have a hankering to explore this year. You can see that the creek cuts another valley several km further to the west (in the top right of this photo. Image Could Not Be Found

The third pool up is bitterly cold getting bugger all sunlight. If you can plan for July, perhaps we could orgainise a lilo and Tirfor and winch you up to the top lel! (laughing extremely loudly).

Have found some fantastic routes into Lake Dora. Cheers.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565406

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:32
Thanks for the loan of a Tirfor, Mick.......lol

Unfortunately my rock scrambling days are over. Might have to bludge a helicopter ride from a nearby station.

Cheers
FollowupID: 565409

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:08
Hi Mick,

Have noticed same and have already used the new data to help me plan my route through the lower sections of the Great Sandy later this year (soon).

Zoomed in on Helena Spring and Wilson Cliffs easily.

Willem, this new data should help you through the Great Sandy next year (Joanna Spring etc.)

Ordered all the paper (rolled) maps for my trip yesterday.

Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 299249

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:24

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:24
Alan,

belted off a mm to you some time back. Must be a bit slow in delivering. Chasing dates when you're going to be out there. Will send to your 'Normal' email.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565424

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 10:03

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 10:03
Nice one Mick. Didn't realise there was a waterhole close to Bocrabee Hills Drove the beginnings of the washed out track you refer to - must have been within 100 metres of WH. I see the current track heading NNW to the left of the hills and linking up with the pre 2005 track.

You must be about to head off?

Wish I were planning same - but alas have bought a small cattle property and beautiful rainforest in steep country near Gloucester - so grounded for a while.

Chris
AnswerID: 299276

Sponsored Links