Corner Country information

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 14:59
ThreadID: 5677 Views:1456 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading off to the Corner Country north of Broken Hill in a few weeks and was searching for some information. Looking to take the tracks that run north along the border. A couple of things:

Which is the best route to Camerons Corner keeping away from the hoards (ie along the border)

Can you travel the dingo fence track north of Hawker Gate House to Camerons?

Is the bore track worth doing to Innaminka?

Any help would be appreciated.

GB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:30
Check out post 5653. I think dingo fence track closed as pepole kept running over fencers.Regards Bob
27th June Gulf trip
AnswerID: 23578

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:04

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:04
GB, we were in that area in the first week of the recent school/Easter holidays. We headed north from Silverton and entered SA through Brougham's Gate. The track heads west for a while before turning north. We got as far north as Yandana Creek which was in flood and had to track back and return to NSW through the gate at Smithville House. The track then runs up the fence before you reach the turn off to Milparinka. Some locals advised us that the road along the fence to the north was impassable due to flooding. The HEMA grt des map doesn't show the tracks in SA but the Auslig 1:250,000 maps do. (Callabonna) Looking at the map, we got to the blue bush dam, but the whole creek was in flood and we weren't game to go any further. The map shows tracks leading all the way to Cameron Corner. If they are as good as the tracks we encountered, and the floodwaters have dissipated, you should be OK. I've heard the bore track is a good alternative to Innamincka, but you must contact the station owner for permission. The Strezlecki Track had been open a day when we went through and was barely passable.

AnswerID: 23579

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:16

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:16
Thats right about the dog fences- you can't drive along the maintenance track. But in places the main road and the maint track run side by side. This may be the case to the north of the Hawker Gate. If not, there is a turnoff to the north a few ks into NSW from the Hawker Gate. This track was impassable when we were there- one of the vehicles in our group went and did a recky and nearly didn't make it back. This track will take you to the road between Tibooburra and Camerons Corner.
FollowupID: 15759

Follow Up By: Steve L - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:39

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:39
All these tracks were certainly impassable when we were up that way in late April. Our plan was to follow the tracks close to the border down to Broken Hill, but we were forced to use the highway - which itself had flowing water over it in a few places.

I'll be interested to read a report of your trip as we keen to get back out there and do what we were supposed to last time.

Steve
FollowupID: 15801

Reply By: GB - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:45

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:45
Thanks for the information. I'll let you know how I get on!

Regards

GB
AnswerID: 23626

Sponsored Links