LC200 impressions

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 13:32
ThreadID: 56806 Views:2044 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Had my first close look at a "big Kluger" today. Very flash.

Particularly liked the hitch receiver cleverly integrated into the rear chassis and bumper, complete with the neat plastic cover plate (and cloth carry bag!). Infinitely better than that dog's breakfast of a tow hitch on the Discovery III.

The owner is rapt in the performance of the V8 diesel, towing his 2 tonne Kedron XC van (well, he traded up from a n/a 80 series, so he should be!).

Impressively 'full' engine bay, including a ginormous top-mount charge cooler, but I'd hate to be paying for major repairs out of warranty. As with most modern engine bays, access below the top 'layer' is between none and Buckley’s. The first 5 hours labour would be removing 'overburden'!

Couldn't even see a turbo-charger, far less guess where it might be possible to fit and EGT sensor, should you want to. Might have better access from below but I didn't feel like a roll in the wet grass this morning...

Has anyone fitted an EGT gauge/pyrometer to one of these yet? Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: furph - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:12

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:12
Ian.
Seems the newer it is, the less user friendly it has to be.
I also looked at the new 70 series, no major improvements except for the v8 diesel.
But how big an engine improvement is that? Compared to the 2.7 L/R v6, nothing flash at all. (plus all the other 2.5/3.0 common rail diesels)

My 4WD requirement has always been for a workhorse vehicle that does the job, that I can do all necessary services, and lasts 4/500000km. A you mention, lift the bonnet on the new one and you enter another world.

My '97 75 series L/C trayback cost $32000. (tax exempt), the new one is close to $65000.

Basically just for a new v8 diesel? I dont see much difference except perhaps for elec. windows which seize in the dust and rag seats which gather it.

Sorry, this did not address the EGT question, simply think if one can afford one of those, EGT's would be the last thing on ones mind.

This is really a Toyota ripoff in the face of the Nissan Z30 engine disaster
furph

AnswerID: 299449

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 18:33

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 18:33
DITTO!!!!!!.

Thats it in a nut shell !!!!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 565642

Sponsored Links