Any advice on place to see, things to do.

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 18:40
ThreadID: 56820 Views:2393 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip, leaving late June, there will be three vehicles in the group with six adults and two kids (14 & 12), two towing camper trailers with the third tenting it.

We are to travel the following locations, if any one has been in these places lately and can advice of anything to look out for, any good preferably free camp sites or knows of anything worth stopping to see please let us know. All advice welcome.

Leaving from Nowra/Canberra and travelling through the following towns:

Forbes
Lightning Ridge
Roma
Kyuna
Mt Isa
Adels Grove
Woollogorang
Anthony Lagoon
Tennant Creek
Barrow Creek
Alice Springs
Chambers Pillar
Kulgera
Coober Pedy
Woomera
Port August
Burra
Mildura
Narrandera
Back to Canberra/Nowra

Thanks in advance

Kerrie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 19:12
Hi Kerrie

What a great time you are going to have.

You will get heaps of responses i am sure, but here are a few of my favourites to start the overload of ideas.

Forbes - bushranger history, including secret tunnel from the hotel etc, worth seeing the visitor centre. Also pull into the radio telescope visitor centre north of Parkes and spend some time there.
Mt Isa - if you can handle being drive around tunnels a couple of kms under the surface the Underground tour of the mine is great. You need to book ahead to get on it. otherwise, at least the surface tour (book when you get to Isa) tells you a lot anyway.
Alice Springs - we are going there for two weeks in June, as we have never had time to really look around. Camp out in the NP camp sites in the West McDonnells (eg Ormiston Gorge), go to Hermannsburg and look at the old buildings and the museum, drive the Mereenie Loop, drive the Finke Gorge and camp at Boggy Hole ....
Port Augusta - there is a beaut boat trip early in the morning (see the visitor centre for days), maybe a steam train trip to Quorn & back etc etc.

Heaps more - enjoy planning and anticipating.

Max
AnswerID: 299480

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 19:53

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 19:53
Painted Desert between Oodandata and Coober Pedy
AnswerID: 299497

Reply By: Member - Glenn F (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 21:41
Kerrie

I note you have not mentioned Ayers Rock, have you been ther before? if not being 200km's away not visiting seems a shame.

Glenn
AnswerID: 299527

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:50

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:50
G'day Kerrie

I'd include both Oodnadatta and William Creek and consider Coward Springs before heading back to Coober Pedy

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 299648

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:17

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:17
Kerrie, are you aware that both Hells Gate and Wollogorang are now closed, so no fuel after Adels Grove, to Barkly Roadhouse, unless you detour to Borroloola. You may be able to also detour to Doomadgee but do not rely on them being open and that still leaves a long way with no re-supply.
AnswerID: 299874

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:16
make sure you stop off at the blue heeler hotel at Kyuna (hope that's right, been quite a while since i was there last), great hotel just like the lions den hotel when going up the cape. also just abit further north is the walkabout creek hotel which is from the crocodile dundee movie, can't remember the towns name, but it's not far up the road from the heeler.
AnswerID: 299940

Reply By: Andy and Mandy - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 13:33

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 13:33
Hi Kerrie, Just thought I would mention to you that there is a great book out there called Camps Australia Wide, which lists all the campsites in our great country and tells you where they are and what amenities they have. The book includes maps and will cost you about $50 at your local camping store or book store. Good luck and have a great time on your trip!
Cheers
AnswerID: 303735

Sponsored Links